Is this a dead MoBo?

Ferretlovers

Giver of 2 Cents
I am upgrading a puter for someone, and it is not going well. I put the new mobo, processor, and memory in there and got everything hooked up. When I went to boot I got no display, no POST, and no beeps(not certain that the PC speaker is working because the wires were off of it so I had to re-soder it, but it "Should" be working).

So far I have tried double checking all of the wires, disconnecting all of the drives(there are a bunch of them and there is only a 230w PS), and dropping in a seperate vid card(the mobo has onboard, but I was checking...just in case).

Any suggestions or should I go for the RMA from the place I ordered it at? I am asking mainly because the mobo processer and mem were pretested and burn in tested before shipment, so I wanted to avoid looking like a doof by sending back a mobo that isn't really dead.

Take Care,
Michael

this my sound stupid but did you check the power switch on the PSU to make sure that it was on? and did you check to see if it was set to the correct voltage? ie; 110v or 220v?

Did the power supply fan and MB fan spin up when you hit the on button?

If no fans:
-Are the case, power supply and MB all ATX standard?
-Did you plug the case power switch into the correct header.
-Try unscrewing and lifting the MB out of the case and powering up. Sometimes the MB power lines short to the case if it is put in a little off center.

If the fans spin:
-Look for the keyboard lights to flash. This indicates POST is being attempted. IF post is attempted the CPU is ok and the MB is at least partially good.
-Check that the CMOS reset jumper is on the correct pins. If it is not the MB BIOS is probably trashed. RMA time. People frequently wipe bios by powering up with the jumper off or on the wrong pins and then RMA the MB which gets restocked.
-Connect a good speaker to the MB and see if there are any beep codes.

The 230W PS is ok to get the system up and running but is kinda small depending on CPU speed and drives installed. Disconnect the drives for the initial power on test.

this my sound stupid but did you check the power switch on the PSU to make sure that it was on? and did you check to see if it was set to the correct voltage? ie; 110v or 220v?
Checked it and it was set to 110

Did the power supply fan and MB fan spin up when you hit the on button?
Yup. They spun just fine.

-Look for the keyboard lights to flash. This indicates POST is being attempted. IF post is attempted the CPU is ok and the MB is at least partially good.
no lights a-flashing.

-Check that the CMOS reset jumper is on the correct pins. If it is not the MB BIOS is probably trashed. RMA time. People frequently wipe bios by powering up with the jumper off or on the wrong pins and then RMA the MB which gets restocked.
Checked those and even tried clearing the cmos myself with no change.

-Connect a good speaker to the MB and see if there are any beep codes.
the only spare I have around is what I call "The Mutant Speeker" I use it as a refrigerator magnet :cool: It is a strange one because every PC speaker I have ever seen has 4 pins, but this one has two pins but are not connected either...each socket is on the end of each of the wires...is this a workable arrangement? if not I will borow the one from my main PC.

The 230W PS is ok to get the system up and running but is kinda small depending on CPU speed and drives installed. Disconnect the drives for the initial power on test.
it is a Duron 1800, and there are 2 HD, 1 FD, 1 CD-Rom, and 1 CD-RW.

Take Care,
Michael

Ferretlovers said:
Checked those and even tried clearing the cmos myself with no change.
Did you disconnect the power supply from the MB or unplug power supply from the wall and remove MB battery when clearing cmos?

American Zombie said:
Did you disconnect the power supply from the MB or unplug power supply from the wall and remove MB battery when clearing cmos?
Folowed manufaturere's directions and had the puter powered down switched the pins the jumper was on for 10 secs, then swiched it back to the prriginal positionm before powering back up.

Take Care,
Michael

I just booted it up again and this time the KB lights did flash, but everything else was the same.

What does that mean?

Take Care,
Michael

If the lights flash the CPU and MB are working, the bios hasn't been wiped. They should flash every boot though.

Have you tried disconnecting all the drives and booting to make sure the power supply is not overloaded?

If you get kybd flashes but still do not get video the RAM is probably the cause.

Attached is how I bring up a new system.

Attachments

• PC Build Guide.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 130
Have you tried a voltage meter at the plug ins ive had a supply fire up showed all signs of life but the voltages were to low. When your already using a low end supply it is even more possible. The most overlooked component of a system is the power supply. My opinion anyway. thanks, late, frogg_mann

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back