Is This 9800 Price about right

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
And what are we getting stiffed out of at this price? $249

Circuit City ad:

ATI Radeon 9800 128MB SDRAM AGP 8X

Ok, its not a PRO and no tuner. It is a retail ATI package.

Should it be 128MB DDR? I thought all the ATI box stuff was DDR.

The 9800 benchmarks I've seen say 10-15% slower than the PRO. Not sure if theSDRAM will worsen that.

Originally posted by LeeJend
And what are we getting stiffed out of at this price? $249

Circuit City ad:

ATI Radeon 9800 128MB SDRAM AGP 8X

Ok, its not a PRO and no tuner. It is a retail ATI package.

Should it be 128MB DDR? I thought all the ATI box stuff was DDR.

The 9800 benchmarks I've seen say 10-15% slower than the PRO. Not sure if theSDRAM will worsen that.

sdr ?

sir... I think someone made a booboo... it should be ddr... I can't remmeber the last card I saw with sdr in the last 2 odd years... :D

the 9800 is about as fast as a 9700pro... just a little slower...

not quite 10-15% slower than the 9800pro... its perhaps 5-10% tops... depending on the situation...

price is not too bad...

DDR is a type of SDRAM. SDRAM simply stands for Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory, which is what most all forms of comp memory are nowadays. DDR (Double Data Rate) SDRAM simply implies it operates on both the rise and fall of the clock cycle.

so a lot of times you will only see "SDRAM" under a card's specification which is only stating that that's the type of memory technology it uses. i don't know of any cards that use any other memory tech out right now.

Originally posted by taurus
DDR is a type of SDRAM. SDRAM simply stands for Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory, which is what most all forms of comp memory are nowadays. DDR (Double Data Rate) SDRAM simply implies it operates on both the rise and fall of the clock cycle.

so a lot of times you will only see "SDRAM" under a card's specification which is only stating that that's the type of memory technology it uses. i don't know of any cards that use any other memory tech out right now.

nv30 aka gf fx 5800ultra == ddr II

for marketing purposes it is quite usual to see ddr splashed all over the place... sdram was the big thing for previous gens of pci based gfx cards... in terms of marketing...

just unusual to see a new gfx card with SDR on the box..

Originally posted by Sazar
nv30 aka gf fx 5800ultra == ddr II

for marketing purposes it is quite usual to see ddr splashed all over the place... sdram was the big thing for previous gens of pci based gfx cards... in terms of marketing...

just unusual to see a new gfx card with SDR on the box..
even DDRII is a type of SDRAM. they're all SDRAM.

even DDRII is a type of SDRAM. they're all SDRAM.

yes...

as I posted in my first post in the thread... sdr is what I am getting @...

single data rate v./s double data rate which by implication is supported by the latest/greatest...

as it stands original posters question was answered...

as I posted in my first post in the thread... sdr is what I am getting @...

single data rate v./s double data rate which by implication is supported by the latest/greatest...
hey, just trying to clear confusion. my point is it doesn't say anything about single data rate. it just says "sdram" in which the "sdr" stands for something different and not specifying whether it's single or double data rate at all.

so no booboo was made. :)

hey, just trying to clear confusion. my point is it doesn't say anything about single data rate. it just says "sdram" in which the "sdr" stands for something different and not specifying whether it's single or double data rate at all.

so no booboo was made. :)

in terms of marketing... which is effectively what the outside of the box is.. it is a booboo...

almost all retail boxes I have seen use the term ddr... it sounds more impressive than sdram in itself...

on the flip side... a couple of 9800xt owners who tried overclocking their cards to ridiculous levels now have dead cards... ie the fans stopped working...

both had piddling psu's so it is likely that the new card does require a sturdy psu as well as an eye on your volt's when planning to oc past designed tolerances... :)

on the flip side... a couple of 9800xt owners who tried overclocking their cards to ridiculous levels now have dead cards... ie the fans stopped working...

both had piddling psu's so it is likely that the new card does require a sturdy psu as well as an eye on your volt's when planning to oc past designed tolerances... :)

Holy Smoly. After paying all that money...man I know those guys are pretty upset.

Originally posted by Terrahertz
Holy Smoly. After paying all that money...man I know those guys are pretty upset.

push far enough and the card will push back :D

everything has a tolerance... they just happened to find out what their products was the hard way :cool:

9700 Pro -- $251 with free shipping. And it's from GameVE, who (from my experience) gives excellent service and speaks good English. Trust me--that's important. :) The deal Terrahertz mentioned on the 9800 Pro is also the best I've seen for that class of card. Screw ebay...Pricewatch is the best.

OK, so basically it's not that great a deal.

Thanks all.

Though you have inspired me to drive over to cicuit city and read the box to see what it says about the memory type.

you have to look at zipzoomfly.com
it is the best place to buy anything for a computer and almost everything is second day fedex free.
They used to be googlegear.com and have great service...you can't beat them

ZipZoomFly is wonderful... I ordered pretty much all my stuff from them, along with one of my best friend's stuff from there... plus my roommate's dad ordered some stuff from there. All of us have gotten great service, exactly what we ordered, and probably some of the best prices out there. Best of all is the free 2nd day air shipping. Their shipping department apparently rocks as well... They pack everything extremely well, which is definitely a plus when you're ordering $700 worth of stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back