Is there such a thing as Performance defrag?

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

Is there such a thing/way that I could customize my HD defrag so that I could see a comfirming improvment in gaming? Right now, when I purchase a new game, I always install it right off the C:\ directory, instead of C:\Program Files\ directory. I also eliminate the extra folders created when installing game (EG: C:\Program Files\Cyan\Ubisoft\Myst4). Could I take it a step further by custom placing the directory in a certain part of the HD through custom defrag? Or does XP do a good job of placing it in the right spot on the HD based on how many times I access the parent directory of the game? I do know that gaming is CPU/GPU intensive, but if it needs a file right away, it doesn't have to go far to look for it.

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

can't answer your question completely, but if you use Diskeeper to defrag there is a performance option available

I don't think it's so much to do with defrag. But it's always best to defrag files to keep performance up to standards.
Not sure if moving the game out on to a separate drive will help or not since it'll be far away from the system files, but I'm planning to move my games on to a 2nd HD when I build my new rig.

Perfect disk offers aggressive free space consolidation, which claims to reduce fragmentation of files. Like Diskeeper, you can set schedules for defragging and also choose which particular drives/partitions you want to be defragged in the schedule.

if you want to put the game and apps in the most efficient partition for performance, that would be the partition that has the os....do not put the pagefile on a differant partition either...evreything that gets accessed often on the same drive as the os

if you have multiple, discs, toss everything I just said out

then keeep that partition relative small...room for easy defrag, and room to add apps as you need them

then put that partition, (which will be your most accessed partition), towards but not at the front of the ...about ten percent in

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back