is there goin 2 b a AMD mobo with PCI-E in the near future?

Dan04

OSNN Addict
Hi Everyone,

I was just curious if anyone knew if and when there will be a mobo released for AMD that had PCI-E etc, also as well the new P4's with PCI-E - is there any performance or is it all hype for intel :p

no, pci-x is the real thing. it has real backing, we've been using the older PCI slots for at least a decade, and that's creating a bottleneck in our systems. this is why AGP was invented for graphics cards. PCI speeds just didn't cut it. pci-x should go up to 16x with different sizes of the slots depending on the speed. and yes, amd will have motherboards supporting pci-x. check these out for more info on pci-x with amd motherboards. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15432
http://www.pcstats.com/releaseview.cfm?releaseID=1104

thats what he is talkin about...he just used x for xpress. Atleast i am assuming cause i just did a search for pci-x and everyone is talkin about pci-express. also if u go to the sites the talk about pci-e

wrong, there is no difference between pci-x and pci-express or pci-e. they're all the same thing. there is a size difference between different pci-express slots that are 1x,2x,4x,8x,16x (i think), but that doesn't mean the names are different, it's all either pci-x, pci-express, or pci-e, don't confuse yourself.

PCI-X is used in mainstream servers only, providing a, still parallel, 64-bit bus, running at 133 MHz. PCI-X is backwards compatible with PCI. PCI-E is the new PCI-Express standard, providing a much faster serial interface, running at higher speeds than 133 MHz (I don't know the exact speeds). PCI-E isn't backwards compatible with PCI.

Glaanieboy said:
PCI-X is used in mainstream servers only, providing a, still parallel, 64-bit bus, running at 133 MHz. PCI-X is backwards compatible with PCI. PCI-E is the new PCI-Express standard, providing a much faster serial interface, running at higher speeds than 133 MHz (I don't know the exact speeds). PCI-E isn't backwards compatible with PCI.

Cool...thanks for clearing up the acronyms...lol. Now if someone can answer the original post regarding AMD and PCI Express, I'd be curious to know an answer myself. ;)

Melon

thanks melon lol, i think my post is confusing more people than actually answering the main question lol ;):p

Back to the main question. There are chipsets out there but nobody has announced an AMD MB yet. I did a search a week or 2 ago.

the thing is that people have sort of become desperate for a replacement for the comparitively slow pci standard, and it seems that now that pci-e has been released, pci has suddenly become really really ancient. it certainly wont help amd sales until they get some pci-e mobos out there

well thats just mho.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back