Is there an anti-virus that stops the virus until I run a scan?

V

veronica

I have seen McAfee do it once. Someone keeps sending me 3 different emails

at the same time with the Netski P virus. It infected 2100 files on my PC

before I could run a scan. I am presently using Avast AV.

Thank you.

any up to date virus scanner with realtime checking (such as norton) will stop a virus in its tracks.

and McAfee is probably the worst antivirus software on the market.

V-Com Fix-It utilities will stop/quaranteen/delete/ or remove from files that have viri on the fly.

GoNz0 said:
any up to date virus scanner with realtime checking (such as norton) will stop a virus in its tracks.
My Avast is up to date. I had

AVG up to date. It did better than Avast. They just let me know I had a

virus. With AVG it only let it spread to 70 files. They let me know when I got

the virus. They did not stop it or slow it down until I could scan. Thanks for

your replies.

NOD32 is very good. it can have Antivirus MONitor is a memory-resident (working in the operating memory after each restart of a computer) file scanning program. Automatic execution of AMON after computer restart is a fundamental defense against malicious code. Quitting AMON is not recommended and should only be done under special circumstances. Execution of two different antivirus monitors (from different developers) is not recommended since it can cause a system crash and, especially on Windows NT systems, might lead to serious problems. Automatic execution of AMON after computer restart can be set in the Security tab of the AMON setup window.

If I remember correctly netsky.p is the "harry potter game" ... never run an EXE that come via email. ;) Follow removal instructions here. Your probably not getting all of it and thats why it keeps coming back.

Xie said:
If I remember correctly netsky.p is the "harry potter game" ... never run an EXE that come via email. ;) Follow removal instructions here. Your probably not getting all of it and thats why it keeps coming back.
All I did was open an attachment. I

recieved about 6 more emails with attachments with them today. They all

looked suspicious. 1 was from my old email. How could someone send me a

message with my old email?

I used the program for removing Netsky p virus. My Avast AV called it a virus.

I had to move it to the chest. IMO Avast is calling everything a virus. It was

showing files it could not scan. I had to move 1000 files into it's chest. It

could not repair them. Should I get a different anti-virus?

What do you mean by the netsky p virus is the Harry Potter game?

Thanks.

GoNz0 said:
I had Norton for a trail period. It just told me I had a virus. I had to run the scanner for 3.5 hours to get rid of it. Thank you all for the replies.

j79zlr said:
and McAfee is probably the worst antivirus software on the market.
True VeRy true, my school uses it, its sooooo bad

Bull.

I've used Macafee for 7 years on 3 machines at home and it never let a virus through yet. It regularly catches email attachments and viruses embedded in zip files I'm downloading before the file is even fully downloaded.

If you had problems with Macafee it was not properly configured or it wasn't updated.

We use Macafee on all the desktops (about 50 thousand of them) at work too.

Norton is a peice of junk. It even has a vulnerability built into its own code.

the free anti-virus that u get from microsoft when u sign up for the security update cd does that i get a message that tells me...i found out like 100+ files had the jeefo virus or w/e it was.

Kaspersky's AV (Pro) blocks any incoming virus via e-mail in real-time: it may delete a message before the later hit your inbox.
Best advice ever though: NEVER open attachments from suspicious e-mail; 2nd: you can disable e-mail preview also ;)

veronica said:
Should I get a different anti-virus?

What do you mean by the netsky p virus is the Harry Potter game?
For different anti-virus I would do as dreamliner77 suggests and try Housecall as its a FREE online scanner. You can read about NetSky.p pretending to be a new Harry Potter game here.

hey...i keep getting a message from the virus scanner program from microsoft and i had like over 300 files with the jeefo.a virus and the rbot.s worm. After i get ride of all of it my computer was acting weird like it said my explorer was using like 300,000k for mem usage and eveyrthing else was like 200-600k. Then it wouldnt let me open programs cause the pf was too high. I looked at the pf and it was 1gb and i keep watchin it and it finally stopped at 1.92gb. Now is it just me or is that weird as f*ck. Everything was acting weird then all of a sudden it stopped and everything was normal.

Now when i did another search when i was typing all this it found korgo.j.worm and the rbot.c.worm.

Sounds like you might want a better AV TittleBitties .. one that catches infections before they get on your HD instead of after.

see i installed this 3 days ago and before i had the sasser and the blast worm at the same time...since then it has never been the same and the day before all that happend i had to redo the computer cause of the blaster worm i had before...but it was my fault cause i thought i could go without a firewall,virus scanner, or a spyware destoryer program. I went for 4 years without any of that and nothin ever happend but now ever since the one virus everything has been messed up :(. O well peace

TittleBitties said:
see i installed this 3 days ago and before i had the sasser and the blast worm at the same time...since then it has never been the same and the day before all that happend i had to redo the computer cause of the blaster worm i had before...but it was my fault cause i thought i could go without a firewall,virus scanner, or a spyware destoryer program. I went for 4 years without any of that and nothin ever happend but now ever since the one virus everything has been messed up :(. O well peace
Well Virus/Worm numbers are on the rise (at least better made for larger distrubution) so while before you could make it w/out its a MUST these days I would say.

veronica said:
All I did was open an attachment. I

recieved about 6 more emails with attachments with them today. They all

looked suspicious. 1 was from my old email. How could someone send me a

message with my old email?

People can spoof email addresses. I've gotten spam before, that is supposedly from myself.

Anyhow, if they're suspiscious, be careful. Also, don't open attachments in these messages, or from people you don't know. If in doubt, you might be able to logon to the network's server through SSH or something, and open it up in Pine, or some other text only email client (that's what I do with messages I'm not sure about).

The version of McCaffee that I currently have, does have email checking... It's enabled though I haven't got a virus to check. The one I did (was in the spam folder), the ISP has anti-virus software on the servers which stripped it...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back