IS there a way to see if a file is corrupt without having to execute it ???

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political Access
As above: Is there a way to check files to see if they are corrupt without having to execute them ?? The reason I ask is because I am seeing a lot of crc errors in zip files, and exe being corrupted.

Thax for the help ..

are these things your zipping yourself or downloading?

This was my first computer problem ever... WAY WAY back in the day lol well 5 years ago.
Go run http://www.memtest86.com/ and make sure your memory is still good. IF you have two peices run both then one/one..

This told me that i had a bad peice and it was the cause of the corrupted exe/ zips

You can check the integrity of a zip file using winzip. It's one of the menu items.

Open winzip, select open a zip from ther file tab, highlight the file in the winzip window, and then go to the menu bar select actions and then Test. It will verify the archive is valid. The same works if it is a winzip archive in self extracting ".exe" format. If the ",exe" was built with winrar or winace you might have ot use them to test the archive.

For program .exe files you are screwed. You have to execute them to see if they are intact.

If these files were loaded from CD/Floppy ands went bad on your hard disk then start worrying about MB or HDisk problems.

If the files that are bad are downloads from the web they may be RIAA plant files that are intentionally corrupted to waste bandwidth on P2P networks. Switch from kazaa/shareazaa/etc to Bit Torrent. Or you may have problems with youe internet connection. Unlikely with broadband but possible with dialup.

That's a good point, if you use WinRAR just click Test and it'll check the archive for crc errors.

thanx for the info all. These are valid files I downloaded and had them on my hd for a while, about the only thing I did with them since downloading them is move them from my main hd to my external drive. I never really noticed the problem till I hooked my file server up. I also noticed that if I use flashget to download the file it gets corrupt. I was thinking it was sp2 for a while. But I will try the suggestions you mentioned. Thanx for the help ..

AHHHHAAH!

You didn't mention external drive. That is probably where you are picking up the errors. I don't think USB uses an error correction code.

I have a Bytecc external USB drive I don't really trust. I shoulda spent the extra $30. :nervous:

There used to be file Compare commands and Verify command line options in DOS but I have never found the like in Windows XP.

LeeJend said:
AHHHHAAH!

You didn't mention external drive. That is probably where you are picking up the errors. I don't think USB uses an error correction code.

I have a Bytecc external USB drive I don't really trust. I shoulda spent the extra $30. :nervous:

There used to be file Compare commands and Verify command line options in DOS but I have never found the like in Windows XP.

It's funny because not all the files are bad. Just certian ones ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back