Is there a way in windows to change IRQ's?

I have a guy that has a video card and a USB modem listed on the same IRQ (16). He was went into bios and all it tells him is the used IRQ's. Is there any way in windows to change the IRQ for a device or does he have to play plug and play with hardware to get a new hardware profile.

Messing with IRQ's is a bit sketchy, but can be done. If the Video Card is PCI, try a different slot first. If it's AGP, that probably isn't an option.

If you want to change the IRQ Settings, do this.

1. Right click on the device list and then select properties
  2. Click the Resources tab
  3. Remove the check from the Use Automatic Settings option
  4. Select a non-conflicting configuration from the pull down box
  5. Click OK
You may find you cannot manually change your IRQ settings (the Use automatic settings will be greyed out), this is usually related to the ACPI function used by Win XP.

No, and you dont need to. Interrupt 16 means its using APIC to route IRQ requests and that you're both looking in the wrong place for a solution to a problem.

nope. Google :D

This time its a case of Intel's engineers really do know more than you even if you'd like to think otherwise in recent year :p

Edit: eating cherry pie and custard while posting is bad for your spelling :p

Edit 2: but spelling custard wrong with both hands free is just plain dumb :p

Edit 3: To make your search shorte - the original PC only had 15 interrupts, had to fit into a single 8bit value :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back