Is there a way I can find out my CD-Drive maker and know the make and model?

D

darklink1017

I bought a HP Pavilion 7935 last september, and have really slow CD-Drive speed. I was wondering if i could download some new drivers to resolve this issue. Is there some kind of program that will allow me to see the information? Right now, Window XP lists my CD-drive as " IDE-CD R/RW 8x4x32".

Open your case, and look at the top of your CDROM drive, it should say what you want to know.

Try this program. It does not install. Just use & exit. You might have to get additional drivers. It will tell you.

well, it says hp cd-writer as a label where the CD open button is... but that dosn't help by telling me which model and stuff....

it's saying i have windows nt, and that i need to download ASPI32.exe

Then that's what you'll have to do if you want that program to identify your cd rom. I personally have not installed aspi32.

Not where the open button is, on the top part inside of the case.

Try this Link:
http;//bizforums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xb2d9911284f5d5118ff40090279cd0f9,00.html
COPY AND PASTE into your Browser Just change the ; into : because the link is not working as it was posted.
It's an HP Business Customer Discussion Group. It's discussing the CD-R/W on Pavilion 7935.

Or you could download a program called AIDA, it'll tell you everything you want to know and more.

The pasting of that link does not seem to be working... Soooooooo, here is what was on that Page (check out the Link in red):

CD-R/W on Pavilion 7935

business customer discussion groups > desktops and workstations > home PCs - pavilion > CD-R/W on Pavilion 7935

receive e-mail notification if a new reply is posted reply to this message post new message
author subject: CD-R/W on Pavilion 7935

John B
December 20, 2001 22:26 PM GMT
The CD-R/W on my Pavilion 7935 shows up in control panel as a Philips CDD4581. I can find no references to this part number (or HP's part number) on either HP's or Philips web sites. I am trying to obtain drivers and mastering software for this drive and nothing I've found seems to work. Does anybody know what this things is and where I can get drivers for Win2K or Windows XP?
Note: If you are the author of this question and wish to assign points to any of the answers, please login first. Click here for more information on assigning points.

Sort Answers By: Date or Points

jayzad2
This user has accumulated 300 or more points
December 20, 2001 22:42 PM GMT [ unassigned ]
http://www2.driverguide.com/

x man
This user has accumulated 1500 or more points
December 21, 2001 00:41 AM GMT [ unassigned ]

Hi John, your 7935 is pre-loaded with XP as you know, the CD-Writer should be working along with the pre-installed HP-RecordNow software. If you ran into some problem could you not do a non-destructive System Recovery specifically for the CD-Writer drivers and software? Here's a link showing how: http://www.hp.com/cposupport/personal_computing/support_doc/bph07512.html

The drivers update page for you machine indicate a Samsung CD-R/W
Here's the link: http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/swindex.pl?p=hppavilion62755&l=en&c=MicrosoftWindowsXP
You may have to open up the case to see which drive you have. It would be odd to have a Samsung that the computer recognizes as a Philips but stranger things have happened.

Here's a link regarding identifying the CD-R/W: http://www.hp.com/cposupport/personal_computing/support_doc/bph06196.html

Rich
December 21, 2001 06:46 AM GMT [ unassigned ]
John, I have the same problem. I am not impressed with my CD-Writer and Customer Support.

The CD-Writer says it is a Phillips model and I have had trouble with it. When I called Customer Service they said I had a Samsung CD-Writer on my machine. When I explained that I didn't, they blew me off.

It's funny--apparently HP thinks that Samsung is spelled "P-H-I-L-L-I-P-S".

I'd like the problem to be rectified without an avalanche of high-tech explanation. I dropped a grand on this machine and I expect it to be in working order.

John B
December 21, 2001 19:16 PM GMT [ N/A: Question Author ]
While the HP site says that my Pavilion should have a Samsung drive, the fact is that it does not. I tried the Samsung firmware update, and I get an error reporting that there is no Samsung drive installed. Both Win2K and XP report the drive as a Philips CDD4851. I really don't want to have to open the box and rip it apart to verify that it is, in fact, a Philips drive. I'll return the PC and buy a Dell before I do that.

Rich
December 21, 2001 19:27 PM GMT [ unassigned ]
Yep, I tried installing the Samsung firmware update and XP responded that my CD-Writer was Philips and not Samsung.

Any suggestions, HP? I'd rather not try a "non-destructive system recovery" without recovery CDs. I am not a computer scientist and I would like to know what I should do with plain english instructions.

My serial is MX144A0680. Product # P5267A-ABA. Service ID # 112-701.

thank you all for your support, i found out the make and model.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back