Is there a hard drive calculator

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Where I can imput the amount claimed by the hard drive manufacturer and it will output the actual amount that will be availalbe once the drive has been formatted?

Not sure if it's a fixed value or consistent within a manufacturer device. The bigger the drive, the more you loose :(

How big is the drive you are looking at?

Cool. I am trying to figure out how to partition my drive.

also take it into consideration that hard drive companies count s gigabyte as 1000 mega bytes and the rest of the world (including windows) counts a giga byte as 1024 megabytes. so you lose some gigabytes there especially on the bigger hard drives.

^^^^Good point.

If you are going to use one drive, I would give the system about 20GB for the OS only, then install all your apps and keep personal documents on another partition. This way you can blow away C: at any given time with minimal backup efforts.

iceman7311 said:
also take it into consideration that hard drive companies count s gigabyte as 1000 mega bytes and the rest of the world (including windows) counts a giga byte as 1024 megabytes. so you lose some gigabytes there especially on the bigger hard drives.

This is more what I was going for, a calculator that would take all of this into account.

well it is not hard to figue out how many gigabytes you lose using these numbers. you lose 24 megabytes for every gigabyte you have. so with a hundred gagabyte harddrive you will lose 2.4 gigabytes to these different measuring systems. so in your case (300 gb(GB?) hard drive) you lose 7.2 megabytes.

can someone plz give me some rep it isn't very ovten that i make a good point.

Asking for rep won't ever get you any, and it's strongly frowned upon.

Secondly, that isn't always very accurate. There is NO WAY you will get a 300GB hard drive and only lose 7.2GB's.

He is technically correct that I will lose 7.2GBs, however it is technically correct that I will lose more once the drive is formatted as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back