is the upgrade worth it?

the_music_man

aka prodj88 =P
should i replace my 900 mhz ATHLON with a 2400+ athlon XP cpu? I think its about 70 bucks now.....

oh and another question, what is up with the RAM being so damn high? I remember when a 256 kingston stick was like 20 bucks not its in the 30's/40's!!!! dang thats high!

You'll notice a tremendous difference in performace (as long as your video card isn't a bottleneck) if your motherboard can handle it. Sounds like you have been looking at pricewatch for your stuff; good on you! :)

If you have a card similar to GF2MX, it won't make a huge difference in gaming for you.

memory prices go up and down. it's a matter of the limited fabrication plants, current demand, and predicting future demand. so they seem to go up and down randomly.

if your board, power supply, and heatsink can handle it, i'd go with the 2400+. if your board supports up to a 266fsb then it's about the fastest chip you'll be able to stuff in it (not counting the rare 266fsb 2600+). the 2400+ is effectively 3x faster than your current processor which is quite a jump. then when you save up some more money you can upgrade your video card.

what board do you have? how many watts is your power supply? what kind of heatsink?

[edit] power supply, not cpu :eek:

its a elite group (ecs) k7s6a or soemthing. i know with my BIOS it can support up to 2600+ 266fsb which iwas actualy thinkin about geting but im leaning with the 2400 now. I don't know how many watts my cpu is but if you meant my power supply it is 300W....and I don't know my heatsink....

well, if you are just replacing the processor, you are gonna need a new fan, heatsink, and new thermal compound. and probably more RAM

If you're a gamer... you'd be looking at RAMs made by corsair; kingston or OCZ as they sell performance RAM targetted at those who want more juice out of their systems for gaming.
Will cost you an arm and a leg... just a word of warning. :)

ok well ihave a 300W psu but im thinking of geting a 400W one thats only 20 bucks! yup and its AMD aproved on teh site. wahoo! oh and where do i buy heatsinks and what kinds do i look for? im totally clueless on heatsinks

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back