Is the iPhone finally coming to Verizon?

gonaads

Beware the G-Man
Political Access
More and more evidence continues to support the rumors that Apple's iPhone 4 will launch on Verizon's wireless network come January 2011.

There are sources associated with Apple's hardware suppliers that are saying Apple has ordered millions of CDMA (CDMA is the network technology used by Verizon Wireless) chipsets from Qualcomm.

There's a report coming from TechCrunch that says these chipsets are due in December. So a possible January launch for a Verizon iPhone could be true. Well, so they say. I'll be the "Doubting Thomas" and wait till I see it in the flesh on Verizon's web site.

This so called release date is supported by an old article (June 2010) from Bloomberg about a Verizon iPhone.

What makes the TechCrunch article more convincing is there was a rumor some months back that Qualcomm had inked a deal with Apple to provide them with chips. Qualcomm is the largest provider of CDMA chipsets in the world.

So if these long running rumors are finally to be true we will have to only wait 'till January. Until then, let your imagination run wild with images of iPhones with Verizon logos on them.

I find it funny that this debate comes up every few months with "evidence" that never turns up true. I think Android is the future though and seems with all the Android phones that Verizon has why would you need/want and iPhone?

To see if it will <long pause> "blend"?

Ehm ... Android is a fragmented platform. The company I currently work for is considering developing an app for it and I am so glad that I have been able to veto myself off the team to help develop it.

Different screen sizes, CPU speeds, memory sizes and internal storage. Not pretty at all from a developer standpoint. With the iPhone across all of them we can be sure have a certain screen size, minimum specs based on the version of iOS we are targeting and a consistent set of hardware that is available (touch screen only).

So basically like creating an elaborate web site that has to run on a variety of browsers. None of which are the same but the core of the page would be the same. But to render it properly you have to go to great lengths for it to work properly on a variety of browsers.

I'm using a web browser as an example because it is the closest to what you are saying in a very basic sort of way, sort of. :D

Wouldn't it be like developing an app for say, windows? It (the app) would run on the OS but depending on the machine it would have varying CPU speeds, screen resolutions, memory capacities, etc...

So to develop an app for the iPhone is like creating a web site that only is viewed on IE and it looks great. But to develop for them (browsers) all, such as an app for the Android platform you gotta do some serious programing.

'Cause it just sounds like to develop for the iPhone is just simple easy and for Android ya really gotta work for it and show your talent.

Correct me in anyway or please elaborate for me.

So basically like creating an elaborate web site that has to run on a variety of browsers. None of which are the same but the core of the page would be the same. But to render it properly you have to go to great lengths for it to work properly on a variety of browsers.

I'm using a web browser as an example because it is the closest to what you are saying in a very basic sort of way, sort of. :D

Wouldn't it be like developing an app for say, windows? It (the app) would run on the OS but depending on the machine it would have varying CPU speeds, screen resolutions, memory capacities, etc...

So to develop an app for the iPhone is like creating a web site that only is viewed on IE and it looks great. But to develop for them (browsers) all, such as an app for the Android platform you gotta do some serious programing.

'Cause it just sounds like to develop for the iPhone is just simple easy and for Android ya really gotta work for it and show your talent.

Correct me in anyway or please elaborate for me.

I was thinking basically the same thing. Although, what I would say is that the iPhone is standard ie browser and android is firefox. Use regular html for one and css for the other. That sounds about right ..

I'm not dissing iPhone, it is a great phone. But you would think that with all the "Brains" - well, people who claim to have brains - that work at apple would come up with a better than ever program platform for it ...

The thing about Apple which is good as to quality and issues of non compliance or say hardware compatibility is that everything is all Apple. So when they or other company programmers write an app for the iPhone it's simpler to do, the platform is preset. Although some apps are for the iPad only so they are written differently. Yet some apps are for the iPod Touch, the iPhone and the iPad, so that single simple programming isn't always. Although an app that runs on the iPod touch would be virtually the same as one that runs on the iPhone as long as you had a wifi connection so if the app needs to connect for whatever reason.

Still I think Apple makes it this way not to be lazier or easier, although that would be a big plus, but more for less things to go wrong, less crashes and/or compatibility issues.

But after all that simplicity they are so snobbish. Kinda like the episode of "South Park", "Smug Alert". :p

The thing about Apple which is good as to quality and issues of non compliance or say hardware compatibility is that everything is all Apple. So when they or other company programmers write an app for the iPhone it's simpler to do, the platform is preset. Although some apps are for the iPad only so they are written differently. Yet some apps are for the iPod Touch, the iPhone and the iPad, so that single simple programming isn't always. Although an app that runs on the iPod touch would be virtually the same as one that runs on the iPhone as long as you had a wifi connection so if the app needs to connect for whatever reason.

Still I think Apple makes it this way not to be lazier or easier, although that would be a big plus, but more for less things to go wrong, less crashes and/or compatibility issues.

But after all that simplicity they are so snobbish. Kinda like the episode of "South Park", "Smug Alert". :p

Person: "I work for apple and 2+2 is 4" Me: "So, that makes you smart?" Person: "Did I say I work for apple?"

Meh, iphone.

I am seriously thinking about trading in my iphone 4 for a Dell Streak.

That thing is just ridiculously awesome :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back