"\\ is not accessible. You may not have" You guys know the rest

angel129116

OSNN Newbie
I am having major problems trying to connect with one of my pcs on the network. I have two pcs and two laptops. They are as follows:
Advent PC
Advent Laptop
Tiny PC
Dell Laptop.

They all share the internet via a adsl router and that works fine. The TWO laptops are wireless and the two PCS are linked via a ethernet cables to the router.

Ok now the source of the problem. The Laptops and TINY PC all sharing files fine, they can access each other with no problems. The problem lies in my Advent main PC. Now the Advent PC can access all the other machines but none of the other Machines can access the ADVENT all im getting is that awful error message that i do not have permission and access is denied.

I have tried Pinging the ADvent PC and that works fine, (See below)

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Documents and Settings\Craig Winson>ping 192.168.1.3
Pinging 192.168.1.3 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.3: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.3: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.3: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.3: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=128
Ping statistics for 192.168.1.3:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 4ms, Average = 2ms
C:\Documents and Settings\Craig Winson>

All the systems are running windows XP home with service pack 2 installed. I have disabled windows firewall and i have turned off the Mcafee Internet Security on the Advent PC but im still not having any luck. I have checked the installation of components on the Realtek RTL 8139 Advent PC and it has:
Client for Microsoft NEtworks
File and Printer sharing
Service Advertsing Protocol
QoS Packet Scheduler
Network Monitor Driver
NWLing NetBIOS
NWLING IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport
Internet Protocol. (I ave selected Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP)

Now i have done everythign i can think of to try and get this to work and im offically at an end. I ave searched every forum i can find and im still having no luck.

Can sum1 help me before i turn to Alcohol!!!

make sure the permissions are set to allow the non working pc. you have to turn off simple file sharing to see them. When i get a bit more time i can go into more depth

and where are the permissions? Im sorry i should have said that im new at this whole networking stuff. I know a little but not a whole load.

I know on XP Professional it is in folder options under the view list but im using home edition

Not too sure with XP Home but with XP pro you do the following:

Right click on the drive you want to share, select 'sharing and security' and select the sharing tab, you can share the drive/folder from here.

You cannot disable simple file sharing in XP Home.

Does it do this with all shares? XP Home's simple file sharing uses the guest account, if you are using the NTFS file system and have denied the guest account access, that would be the only way you could get access denied messages using XP Home.

If anyone comes up with a way to fix this, please let me know, I am having same problem as Original Thread Starter of this..and it does it on every machine on my network, currently guest account is active on here, but still same message..it did work for about 30 minutes last night, and now nothing at all.

Norton Antivirus 2004/2005 (installed on this PC-Internet worm protection is on this one, but that doesn't matter, turned that off last night, didn't help any)
All Updated
No other firewalls besides Router(D-link 524 Wireless AP/Router)
Windows XP Home Sp2--Window firewall off

I'm at a lost what else to do, best friend of mine says it's Norton, but I really don't want to go through hassle of removing it and reinstalling my second antivirus choice.

Help please, please, please, please

For XP Home: your network DDE service may have been reset to DISABLED. Try this:
Click on START, then CONTROL PANEL, Then ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS, then SERVICES.
Find NETWORK DDE and NETWORK DDE

CONTINUED>>>>
NETWORK DDE and NETWORK DDE DDSM and right click PROPERTIES on each one at at time. In properties set STARTUP TYPE from DISABLED to AUTOMATIC, then Click on START in the SERVICE STATUS.

Ok there's 2 things that I can see here.

1. You could have Windows XP Firewall on the Advent turned on, and that would block incoming port 139 which is required for the Netbios protocol to connect (which is what is used when you use a \\pcname\share).

2. The other thing I'm thinking of is that you do not have the same user account created on all the PC's. I'm not 100% sure on that so I'll need someone to confirm since you're using Simple File Sharing and Xp Home doesn't have any advanced folder security options... not sure it's relevant.

I'd be more tempted to say it's a firewall issue.

Just to make sure, run the following command in a command prompt window on the Advent PC:

netstat -a -n

This command will list all active connections on your PC with the ports in numerical form. Look for a line that starts with TCP, then your IP:139 and ends with LISTENING.

If you don't see that line, your firewall doesn't allow file sharing. Just go in the options and check Print and File Sharing.

Lemme know if that's it ;)

EDIT:

Like Ionicman said check the Network DDE and Network DDE DSDM services to see if they are running. (Click on the links to read more on the services).

The Network DDE DSDM Service specifically will prevent you from using Network Shares all together... as the description states:

Manages Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) network shares. If this service is stopped, DDE network shares will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Typically when I have run into this issue it is because the local security policy has been altered. Now, I don't mess with XP Home edition, so I don't know if home has the local security policy (If I had to guess I would say it does). Go to your CP and open the administrative tools>>Local Security Policy.
Once open, expand local policies>>user rights assignments.
Once you click on user rights assignments you will see in the right pane "access this computer from the network". It is at this setting in which you need to make sure the correct entries are added. Generally when changing this setting you do not need to reboot, but if it does not work then reboot and test again. If you are not sure add everyone and see if you are able to connect. If you are able to connect; leave the setting as it is, or added the user account that you are using from the client pc. I have only had to do this with XP pro and in a domain setting. My $.02

If you need to set permissions on files in XP home you can use CACLS from the command line.

To give "Everyone" access to a file using CACLS, try "CACLS filename /G Everyone:C"

Nick said:
If you need to set permissions on files in XP home you can use CACLS from the command line.

To give "Everyone" access to a file using CACLS, try "CACLS filename /G Everyone:C"

Finally someone chirped up with that trick.

If you are uncomfortable on the command line, simply reboot XP Home in Safe Mode.

BAM. You have a 'Security' tab - Advanced File Sharing here we go.... ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back