Is my PSU enough?

D

Digerati

I just bough a new Seasonic 300w PSU for my system.

My main concern is if it can provide my system with enough juice to perform well and run stable.

Here is the setup:

AthlonXP 2500+ Barton
Vantec Aeroflow HS/F
Asus A7N8X-Dlx rev. 2.0
256mbx2 Corsair XMS pc3200 Ram
WD Special Edition 80gb
ATI Radeon 9500 pro
Liteon 48xCDrw/16xDVDrom combo
Sony 1.44mb FD
ATI tvwonderVE PCI

I'm also thinking of adding another HD sometime in the future, but that's not a sure thing.

Anyhow, just wondering if that PSU can keep all that running well. Not an OCer, just normal user.

Thanks!

You are right on the edge. I don't know anything about "seasonic" PSU. If you had an Antec or an Enlight I'd say your ok at 300W. With a name I've never seen tested you are pushing the envelope.

If you keep the seasonic don't plan on putting anymore HD or CD/DVD's in. You might get by with more RAM.

I agree with JeeJend.

In your shoes, if you intend to add stuff into your computer now or in the future, I would consider at least 450 W PSU. That is just to be on the safe side.

yeah, i would go with a decent 400w just so you don't have to worry about it being strained and voltages being off and wearing down your parts.

but you can try the psu. it should be powerful enough to get it booted and stable (if it's not real cheap). and in windows, sue your motherboard's hardware monitoring software to keep an eye on the voltages. if any are off by 5% or more, then it could be an indication of a weak power supply. if any are off by 10%, then i'd get another power supply as soon as possible.

Agreed as well. 300 is really pushing it. I would go with a minimum of 350. 400 or higher would be better.

your fine, althoug if you were to upgrade to an 9800pro yod need 400watt minimum as i found out.

hey i just ordered a pc with a 300w psu after reading this im consernd its big anof in the pc i ordered:

Intel Pentium4 Northwood-C 2.4GHz In-a-Box (FSB 800)
2 x 512MB DDR PC3200 RAM (dual)
PowerColor Radeon 9600PRO
Asus P4P800Deluxe
Asus CRW-5224A,52x24x52xburnp.
Liteon 16xDVD/48xCDROM
2 x Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB (8mb version) Fluid
HEC 300W Ultra Silent
TT: XASER III V1000D,Blue/Plex with 7 fans and a fan controler

i can will make changing some stuff in the next few days so plz reply quick

Originally posted by superbo3
hey i just ordered a pc with a 300w psu after reading this im consernd its big anof in the pc i ordered:

Intel Pentium4 Northwood-C 2.4GHz In-a-Box (FSB 800)
2 x 512MB DDR PC3200 RAM (dual)
PowerColor Radeon 9600PRO
Asus P4P800Deluxe
Asus CRW-5224A,52x24x52xburnp.
Liteon 16xDVD/48xCDROM
2 x Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB (8mb version) Fluid
HEC 300W Ultra Silent
TT: XASER III V1000D,Blue/Plex with 7 fans and a fan controler

i can will make changing some stuff in the next few days so plz reply quick

Bump.
Can anyone answer my friends question? I personally think it's not enough. I'd recommend a 400w absolute minimum but he wants more feedback about it.

Cheers.

It really depends on the quality of the PSU, shaunj66. The efficiency of the psu is what dictates how much power you'll need. Someone above said he'd never heard of Seasonic power supplies, but in fact they are very good quality. In fact the Seasonic Super Tornado's efficiency rating is right around 75% (which is very good). I've never heard of an HEC power supply, so I'd say you'd need to up it. For most brands of PSU's, 300W would not be quite enough for your current configuration.

well ive hold one and i can say its very heavry i heard it means it produres alot of power then its heavry :p

edit: i have emailed the guys whos building my pc to put in a antec 430w instead :)

Just so nobody gets misled from my original post in this thread system - common RAM size has gone from 256-512 meg @ 266mhz to 1 gig @ 400 mhz since my original recommendations and HDs of 120 gig are common now. So I'm upping my recommendations for power supply capacity significantly.

The HD size doesn't make much difference but the extra 512-768 megs of RAM is a real power pig. 4-6 amps extra on the 5 volt output puts you over 20 amps. That kills a 300W supply and is pushing a 350 Watt supply.

Add up the 1 gig RAM, 2 large HDs, the latest top end vid cards and all the USB connections (many power the usb device from the computers 5 volts) I wouldn't go with less than a 375W, probably a 400W now. And if your thinking overclocking or want one of the next generation Intel processors go for 450W. Intel has hinted that 100W for a CPU is acceptable (to them).

If you have a 300W and don't want to have to upgrade don't max out the system with the fastest RAM around!

thx for the info , ive emailed them again about changing it to a 430w antec , its stupid to go cheap on something as importent as a psu :)

Originally posted by superbo3
thx for the info , ive emailed them again about changing it to a 430w antec , its stupid to go cheap on something as importent as a psu :)

If you mean the Antec TruePower430W, then you've made a wise
choice.
This PSU features excellent current control. The voltage is regulated for each of the six main outlets and it has dedicated fan power controllers. Plus varispeed cooling fans
.......mmmmmmmmmmmm ..quiet... slurp!.

I upgraded to a 480WTruePower from a 350WEnermax, and the difference was instantaneous.
Highly Recommended. You won't look back m8 :)

thx for all the info you guys here are really helpfull :) i think ill stay here lol :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back