Is my PSU enough to handle this?

fantasi

My Yngy is My HoneY!
hi, bought my computer parts already but my 350watts antec smartblue is in australia. going back there in 2 weeks. need to know if it is eough to run this.

AMD 64 3500+
msi k8n neo2 platanium
corsair 1024llpro
leadtek 6800gt
1 cd rom

is my 350 enough? i hope so if its not enough what will happen if there isnt enough power?

check the output on the +12v rail if its ~20A or higher then you're all set :)

ideally you want to check its peak maximum load is in watts too as you want that to be around 350-400 too to handle "power on" stress if you upgrade in future to have more devices.

I would probably look for something north of 400W with a solid 12v rail... ie around 24A or better...

a64's == 18A min for stability (amd recommended) and you need a decent rail to supply the power hungry 6800GT...

the rest of the items are not gonna put as much stress on the cpu/gpu so just make sure you have something decent that will be able to accomodate those two, and it should be just fine for the peripheral items...

i think you may need a bigger PSU. if i remember correctly, even the video card alone says to have a 350w PSU. not sure. might not need a new PSU, but i was using a GeForce 4 Ti4200 before on my Sony Vaio, which had a pretty low wattage PSU, and i believe that's what killed my Ti4200. Could be wrong, but better to be safe than sorry i think. right now i'm using an Ultra X-Connect 500w Modular power supply and i love it.

Oh yes ED I just picked that up today myself the ultra connect X 500 watt and it is sweet. I say you might be better off looking for a little more juice also.

the 6800gt requires atleast a 300w PSU, and since you have pretty decent components its better to get 400+watt psu from a reputable company, that is if you want all those components to run at their full potential.

its not watts you want to look at Elektro slime, its current output.

you canhave a 6million watt psu but if it only has 10amps don the 12v rail its useless.

I knew something important had gone when they bunked the forum back a few hours the other day. A few people had answered but i thought i best check again. Similar to fantasi's problem; I'm upgrading in a weeks time and wondering if my PSU is powerful enough to handle a a64 system.

The specs will be as follows:
AMD Fx-55
1024mb pc2700
GeForce 6800gt (OC'd in box)
Maxtor 80gb hdd

Heres the link: Jeantech 500watt

Moonwraith said:
I knew something important had gone when they bunked the forum back a few hours the other day. A few people had answered but i thought i best check again. Similar to fantasi's problem; I'm upgrading in a weeks time and wondering if my PSU is powerful enough to handle a a64 system.

The specs will be as follows:
AMD Fx-55
1024mb pc2700
GeForce 6800gt (OC'd in box)
Maxtor 80gb hdd

Heres the link: Jeantech 500watt

nope... that looks like an el-cheapo or el-crappo psu... whatever floats your boat...

18A on the 12v rail for a 500W psu is absolute rubbish if you are planning on high end components like you have listed...

my psu is 420W, maxes @ 450 and has a 27A 12v rail...

look for something in the mid/high 20 A range for the psu, and preferably something which is name-brand or you have good experience with... what you have may be good enough for generic work with axp's or lower end p4's but if you spend about 1g on 2 components.. might as well dish out 100-150 or so for a decent psu :cool:

[censored] that's exactly what i thought you'd say... [more censorship].. Right <breathes> what PSU you got out of interest?

should i just buy a Antec NeoPower 480w? Heard good things..

<cries>

The Antec "True Power" are a good solid supplies with all the new features (SATA & Fan connector etc.)

If you don't care about cost and electricity usage this is it: $71 USD
http://www.antec.com/specs/true430_spe.html

If you don't plan to put too many drives in this one should do the job also:
http://www.antec.com/specs/true380_spe.html $62 USD

Keep away from the Antec "Smart Power" supplies. They are not meant for 64 BIT systems with the latest vidoe cards.

Edit
I looked at the Enermax site too and they have some good supplies but the site was really slow and it was taking too long to find an appropriate supply for your system.

And before you go cheap on a power supply to save $25...
MB+CPU+RAM+Video= $800 USD Think about them in ashes.

The modular one any good? Just i thought if i've already had this kick in the teeth (an extra 80-100 quid onto the bill) would it be worth going for the modular one?

p.s. The true power ones look good :) Cheers LeeJend

Check my edits.

Modular may clean up airflow a little but mainly its just more buck$ (quid$) for no more performance.

On the downside with modular the extra set of high current connections may corode and degrade voltage regulation with time. Low risk in a quality power supply but why pay more for added risk? (yes, I'm a cheapskate.)

I don't mind a fellow cheapskate. Hmmmmmm, right so it's between a 430watt True Power for £57
or a neopower 480w (modular) for £90

Hmmm it's a difficult choice. I think i'll probably go with the truepower 430w just to keep it good, yet not going OTT. I'm not too fussed about cable management i suppose

So if I buy one of these and it doesn't work, can i come in the search of blood? ;)

go with a neopower if you can...

the one i use is a ttgi psu... cheapish... asian... very solid rails and no problems incurred by me so far... :)

el-cheapo btw implies cheap material as well as price... nothing wrong with saving a few pennies as long as it works just fine init ;)

Ok, one person says 430 True Power, one says Neopower 480w
arghh! heh, Anyone elses input on this? or anyone wanna second either of the decisions, because i could afford either, leaving me without a penny in the world :D the way it should be.

Oh yeah, and Sazar - i got what you meant with el-cheapo heh, because i know it weren't cheap in money. £55! PCworld rips me off once again (only reason i bought it was because i was desperate to get a gfx card working)

[Edit] the dual rails in the neopower make much of a difference? [/edit]

dual rails supposed give better/more stable output...

haven't used it personally so I wouldn't know, but it is supposed to be pretty decent...

the truepower's are good, the neopowers are better (per the pr) coz of the dual rails for the 12v and better tech... plus its modular :cool:

ok... I'll go with the neo.. but only because of the bling factor (cheers sazar and Leejend for input) and if you don't mind me. Time to do a general post and see if i'm going to get anymore disappointments :)

The power supply we talked about the X connect modular is a power house of a power supply and it looks fantastic I own the 430w Antec true power came with my Antec case, it is 410w and can max at 430w but does not maintain the power where as the X connect is 500w peak but is 480W and in it is made to run at MAX output all the time. So either the Antec or the X connect imho are good choices why did I go from 430w max to a 500w ....... well 5 harddrives and my GT6800 256mb 1 gig ram , my dvd burner bla bla bla ... so I wanted something more than 410w MAX

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back