Is my HDD failing?

Originally posted by Admiral Michael
Then why would i hang when the BIOS is detecting the Hard Drives?
The drive may have been spun down when the computer locked up, and sometimes they don't spin up again unless you acctually turn the computer off. It happens. The controller or the disk may also be locked up during the crash, requiring an on/off reset (I think).

lieb39: Does it spin down?

Spin down? No idea. It seems okay after I ran CHKDSK and Defraged the drives with diskeeper 8... It's doing it's job of playing music fine. I'll let you guys know if something happends.

Thanks,

lieb39

Go to "energy saver" and make sure the hard disks are never powered down. This happens to my wife's computer if it goes into a deep sleep mode.

Power cycle will fix it for sure, but I thought a reset would too, if I oculd get a reset when in that state. ctl-alt-del does nothing to get me out of that state.

Turn off energy saver to see if this is the problem.

Had very similar problems with a system I once had, turns out it was a failing motherboard. Might want to check that out.

Failing motherboard seems pretty possible, as I have one of the worse motherboards ever. [Look at specs for the kind]

-lieb39

TURN OFF THE S.M.A.R.T IN THE BIOS. HAVE YOU INSTALLED ANY NEW HARDWARE RECENTLY?. BECAUSE YOU ARE GETTING PROBLEMS ON BOTH HDDS I WOULD SAY IT IS A POWER PROBLEM. WHATS THE RATING ON YOUR POWER SUPPLY?. IF YOURE RUNNING MULTIPLE HDDS AND A HIGH SPEC GRAPHICS CARD ETC ANYTHING UNDER 350W IS GOING TO CAUSE PROBLEMS AND OVER HEATING WITHIN THE PERIPHERALS WHICH IS NOT ALWAYS DETECTED BY THE MOTHERBOARD.

Ok, so to sum up this thread:

It could be the RAM, the hard drives, the motherboard, the power supply, or the video card.

Well, I guess somebody has to be right, huh?

Vector - ya... but seems fine now...
archangel - sorry, i don't know how to read ALL CAPS posts!

-lieb39

Originally posted by Vector
Ok, so to sum up this thread:

It could be the RAM, the hard drives, the motherboard, the power supply, or the video card.

Well, I guess somebody has to be right, huh?

...sorry to hear that. I would not resort to coin flipping... yet;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back