is my 480watts psu enough for my rig now?

fantasi

My Yngy is My HoneY!
well heres the thing, im running out of space soon so im thinkng of buying either:

1 400gb seagate hdd $400
OR
2 200gb on raid $360

well im tryin to save money so i dnot mind the raid. my rig before this upgrade is found on my sig below. PSU is a thermaltake TWV 480watts. does it matter which one i pick with regards to power? i know one of the draw backs would be more noise since i got another hdd now. please give me your views as its kindly appreciated.

oh ps just to remind i have a raid-o 36g raptor and also a 200gb seagate already.

Well, I would go with the Raid 0 solution for the better performance and cheaper price tag... You should be just fine with your PSU, but if you are really worried about it you could get a 535 down the road or something.

The power supply is a ATX 12V 1.3 version with a single 18A rail. This design is last generation meant for systems that used a lot of 3.3V and 5V power. And the 3.3 and 5V ratings are great. But the 12V rating is the same as my 400W Antec.

With the 12V demand of an AMD 64 and a 6800 GT according to the rules you are "pushing your luck". But since it "ain't broke" don't worry about fixing anything. :)

As for adding HD's I just measured what my 120gig WD 7200 draws and it is negligible on 12V even during spin up (a few watts) so either the RAID pair or the Big Fat drive will work.

I don't like RAID on general principles (doubles your failure rate and power consumption). BUT, since the Big drives have been reported as slower than the sub 200 gig drives and you will get a speed increase from striping the 2 drives and its a lot cheaper you may want to go that way.

My personal recommendation - clean out some crap and WAIT! The vertical encoding HD's are coming and will be faster (higher data density) and have higher density driving the cost of the Big drives down sharply.

(BTW you owe me! It was hell finding any technical info on thermaltake products. Worst web site I have ever seen. It is all glitz and glimmer with no technical details and dead links. I finally found the details on a retailers site.)
http://www.theboyz.biz/product_info.php?products_id=40339

LeeJend said:
With the 12V demand of an AMD 64 and a 6800 GT according to the rules you are "pushing your luck". But since it "ain't broke" don't worry about fixing anything. :)

My personal recommendation - clean out some crap and WAIT! The vertical encoding HD's are coming and will be faster (higher data density) and have higher density driving the cost of the Big drives down sharply.

lol thx for the insight, reps have been sent for your troubles. i could have found it before i left the house today, my bad. anyways yea i did think there would be a problem with the amd 64 and GT taking too much power but yea i think i will wait until it "break". btw what would happen when it "break" tho. does that mean that the hdd will just wont get recognise durin gstartup? cuz that would kinda suck in a raid cuz emm yea 1 without the other is pretty much dirt.

well regarding your recommdation i could wait a while if it aint that long, but what is the vertical encoding hd's u talking about? new technology that i dont know of. you have any links for those if its no trouble to you? thx in advance tho. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back