Is It Worth It?

Henyman

Secret Goat Fetish
Political Access
ok so am thinking about doing some training to get me the the IT field. The course that i am giving some serious thought towards is via someone like http://www.computeach.co.uk/ and is a to become a Network Security Profesional. this is somewhere i see as a good career for the future as network security is always gona be an issue. at End of it i will get:

CompTIA A+
MCDST
MCSA
MCSE
MCP
CompTIA Security+

The mcse/mcsa is what i really want to get out of it, and the others are a bonus. course consists of :
~28 days in a purpose built training center
All Exams + Resits
Microsoft training materials/books
~1500 hours of study
as well as hands on experience.

cost is £6,000 or $11,000 :speechless:

what eceryone's thought/questions/experiences on this?

You can probably get away with just reading and memorising the books for A+. A+ qualification is the minimum requirement if you want to become a technician.
If you're serious about getting into the IT field, then it's worth going for the training course, but I think £6k is a bit expensive though.

Last edited:
It's a toss up really. Some places will hire you based on skill, i.e. showing them what you can do, others will hire you based on what a piece of paper says.

Six grand is a bit much really, especially as the course is only 28-days. Whilst you may think that 28-days is a quick and easy way of learning, it's a short period of time to cram in a lot of information, you have to ask yourself if you're ready to take it all on, or if a university style of course spanning a year, or two, or even four is more suited.

If you're really set on taking that particular career path, and have the six thousand spare, or can at least comfortably put that dent in your bank account, then it could certainly be worth it.

Good idea in theory, but fwiw, I have gone to interviews where they want proof of certification. In your case, they would all be dated so close together which may look as if you went to a boot camp and crammed for it, as you will be. Even on a resume it's good to put date of accomplishment, so it might not be as worthwhile.

Just my .02

i like input :D

Dave, the course will be ~2 years depending on how quick i do it. the 28 days are what you have to do @ their training center, there is ~1500 hours ontop of that of studying @ home/online.

and yes i would take out about a £7500 loan, £6000 for course and £1500 for a new laptop/pc :p

see you really wanted the new pc and had to get something else to justify the loan :p

ok so am thinking about doing some training to get me the the IT field. The course that i am giving some serious thought towards is via someone like http://www.computeach.co.uk/ and is a to become a Network Security Profesional. this is somewhere i see as a good career for the future as network security is always gona be an issue. at End of it i will get:

CompTIA A+
MCDST
MCSA
MCSE
MCP
CompTIA Security+

The mcse/mcsa is what i really want to get out of it, and the others are a bonus. course consists of :
~28 days in a purpose built training center
All Exams + Resits
Microsoft training materials/books
~1500 hours of study
as well as hands on experience.

cost is £6,000 or $11,000 :speechless:

what eceryone's thought/questions/experiences on this?

First off...learn how to spell or you wont go anywhere :lick:

I am sorta trying to do the same except for computer repair. Luckly I have a Vocational School that I can do all this stuff or most of what I want. If it makes you more money in the end its worth paying the money.

Good Luck henster

i like input :D

Dave, the course will be ~2 years depending on how quick i do it. the 28 days are what you have to do @ their training center, there is ~1500 hours ontop of that of studying @ home/online.

and yes i would take out about a £7500 loan, £6000 for course and £1500 for a new laptop/pc :p
I misunderstood, I thought everything (training and all tests would be over 28 days, which would be nuts).

If it's over 2 years, I say go for it :)

Funny

I just got the mail and my voucher for my a+ test came finally. Gotta drive 45 minutes away to take it but its worth it since its free :)

Just don't fail :eek:

Taking both at the same time are we?

Not sure yet.Gonna practice a little bit first. I got till june 27th of 07 to use them. I got two and I was wondering why I got two then I remember its cause there is two tests :dead:

I passed the practice exam in Voc to get my real exam paid for and he said the real one is easier. So I dont think I will have a problem.

I also think the passing score is pretty low, like a 500 or 550 I believe.

I've been thinking of taking the IT course for a while now, but didnt get around to seriously doing it. I was hoping to find a job as office junior or something small and build up experience rather than using my savings to fund a short course. Im not too sure what to do. Any suggestions?

It's a tough call to make with the market the way it is these days, at least in the U.S.A.

Most places want 5 years of experience, yet few companies are willing to give it.

Pretty good suggestions here. I would at least go for the A+ (I really need to do that too, just worried about failing since the tests are a little pricey!).

This would be a major change for me, but is one i think i am quite keen to take. only thing putting me off is i dont really want to leave current company as i have a lot of shares/shavings schemes built into it. several thousand £££ worth over the ~3 years i have been with them. gona see if i can transfer to a seperate part of company to do with IT, so i can hold current salery + saving etc while going in the direction i want.

Most companies let you transfer any current holdings, rolled into a new plan with your new company.

Best to check on that first, as I believe if you are with the company less than 5 years you would get a penalty for "pulling out" so to speak.

That stuff all varies from organization to organization though.

This would be a major change for me, but is one i think i am quite keen to take. only thing putting me off is i dont really want to leave current company as i have a lot of shares/shavings schemes built into it. several thousand £££ worth over the ~3 years i have been with them. gona see if i can transfer to a seperate part of company to do with IT, so i can hold current salery + saving etc while going in the direction i want.

Keep it as a weekend job.. :)
That's what I'm planning to do if I get a new job.

bumpasaurus.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back