is it possible to load windows through a network?

dadecamp

under worked, over paid
I was going to attemp to set up a client pc without a hard drive. Is it possible to load a operating system through a network? We have Winterms at work that operate this way but I can't figure out how to do it at home.
Thanks

You could use win2k server with terminal services. But it'd be easier to just buy a cheap 3gig hard drive.

Come on. Someone must know how to do this! I used a bootdisk that gives you network access and I can see my server but only in dos, but I don't know what to do next.
Please help.

Terminal services are accesible through a running and authenticated client.
You can boot the machine with a network boot diskette, but as far as I know you can only load Windows installations from a network, not the operating system itself.

make a small novell server and get a cheap 486 with a 20 meg hd or something go to novell.com and look up at it they give u a file to put on ur hd and bootup the computer and it will load novell fill in ur server settings and connect.

I might be a little wrong because my school does this with new compaqs ( what a waste ) . Also it is funny to me that i am only 13 and I know more than the schools techs LOL!

I think you should look at BOOT PROMS on the network card. With an appropriate BOOT PROM you can boot over a network as far as I know. It should work with Linux, but I'm not sure about Windows.

Or get Winterms?

Well, I guess I will give up on this and just install a hard drive and OS. It sounds like the easiest way.
Thanks for the input.

It can be done, but it's quite involved with a NT based OS

u can buy boot roms for network card which let you boot ur pc off a hd that's on your network

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back