• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

is it possible to load windows through a network?

dadecamp

under worked, over paid
I was going to attemp to set up a client pc without a hard drive. Is it possible to load a operating system through a network? We have Winterms at work that operate this way but I can't figure out how to do it at home.
Thanks

E

elderec

You could use win2k server with terminal services. But it'd be easier to just buy a cheap 3gig hard drive.

dadecamp

under worked, over paid
Come on. Someone must know how to do this! I used a bootdisk that gives you network access and I can see my server but only in dos, but I don't know what to do next.
Please help.

R

Rootz

Terminal services are accesible through a running and authenticated client.
You can boot the machine with a network boot diskette, but as far as I know you can only load Windows installations from a network, not the operating system itself.

S

Sux541512

make a small novell server and get a cheap 486 with a 20 meg hd or something go to novell.com and look up at it they give u a file to put on ur hd and bootup the computer and it will load novell fill in ur server settings and connect.

I might be a little wrong because my school does this with new compaqs ( what a waste ) . Also it is funny to me that i am only 13 and I know more than the schools techs LOL!

I think you should look at BOOT PROMS on the network card. With an appropriate BOOT PROM you can boot over a network as far as I know. It should work with Linux, but I'm not sure about Windows.

Or get Winterms?

dadecamp

under worked, over paid
Well, I guess I will give up on this and just install a hard drive and OS. It sounds like the easiest way.
Thanks for the input.

P

PHiSHnz

u can buy boot roms for network card which let you boot ur pc off a hd that's on your network

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies