Is it possible to create a Win XP install CD?

daddyo

OSNN Addict
Instead of using the 6 floppies, I would like to create a CD with the same file on it. Is that possible?

jw50

OSNN Senior Addict
I dont know if that would work or not but why would you want to do that? The XP CD is a bootable CD.

daddyo

OSNN Addict
I haven't been able to boot from my copy for some reason.

But, Microsoft has an executable that creates 6 installation floppies that work well on my system. That is what I want to put on one CD.

I'll try booting again from it tonight. I'll check my bios to see if the CDROM is the first boot device.

AndyP

OSNN Senior Addict
It can be done, I have seen somewhere a cd-image of the installation files.....If this is legal, is another issue!

daddyo

OSNN Addict
This should be perfectly legal...

After all, the executable is freely available at Microsoft's web site. I'm just trying to keep from having to insert floppy after floppy. It's much more convenient to have the boot files for a clean installation on a CD. I'm always reformatting my drive for one reason or another and it's a pain to have to keep using the floppies when I want to reinstall XP.

P

phatphunky

Do what I and many others have done...

Since the release of Windows 2000, the boot disks have been a pain...
If you have a friend with Windows 98, have them create a startup disk for you. Make sure to also copy smartdrv.exe from their Windows directory to this floppy. This exercise is pointless if you don't.

Use this disk for booting. Before installing, run smartdrv.exe for faster access to the hard drive.

Hope this helps...

phatphunky

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.
Terrahertz wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Yo fellas!
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Where are you buddy?
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey EP! All good with me, applying for Microsoft MVP right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by coming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier!
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
EP, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PseudoKiller