Is it possible to create a Win XP install CD?

daddyo

OSNN Addict
Instead of using the 6 floppies, I would like to create a CD with the same file on it. Is that possible?

I dont know if that would work or not but why would you want to do that? The XP CD is a bootable CD.

I haven't been able to boot from my copy for some reason.

But, Microsoft has an executable that creates 6 installation floppies that work well on my system. That is what I want to put on one CD.

I'll try booting again from it tonight. I'll check my bios to see if the CDROM is the first boot device.

It can be done, I have seen somewhere a cd-image of the installation files.....If this is legal, is another issue!

This should be perfectly legal...

After all, the executable is freely available at Microsoft's web site. I'm just trying to keep from having to insert floppy after floppy. It's much more convenient to have the boot files for a clean installation on a CD. I'm always reformatting my drive for one reason or another and it's a pain to have to keep using the floppies when I want to reinstall XP.

Do what I and many others have done...

Since the release of Windows 2000, the boot disks have been a pain...
If you have a friend with Windows 98, have them create a startup disk for you. Make sure to also copy smartdrv.exe from their Windows directory to this floppy. This exercise is pointless if you don't.

Use this disk for booting. Before installing, run smartdrv.exe for faster access to the hard drive.

Hope this helps...

phatphunky

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back