Is it best to partition your drive?

applications and pagefiles should remain on drive c: as XP has inbuilt code to optimise performance with that scenario.

This fact is not up for debate either before any one tries. If you move apps and pagefile off of partition c: you are dumb. period. :p

LordOfLA said:
applications and pagefiles should remain on drive c: as XP has inbuilt code to optimise performance with that scenario.

This fact is not up for debate either before any one tries. If you move apps and pagefile off of partition c: you are dumb. period. :p

well, the word dumb is a little harsh

counter productive is more appropriate

some people think the performance they sacrifice by moving the apps off of c is over come by their added convenience

I personally don't see it, but that's their feeling

obviously you know I agree with your technical points and would never move apps or pagefile off of c on a single hardrive

Last edited:
I would definately partition a 200mb hard drive. If your OS crashes it allows you to do a clean install on one partition while keeping your data saved on another. Of course you would have to reinstall all of your programs, but your data could be saved. It also gives you a place to copy files while using the recovery console. I also like to install my programs on a separate partition just to keep it off my boot partition. I'm also not sure how much performace you gain by having one partition. Perhaps it can be offset by moving your virtual memory and print spooler to another partition.

The one thing that wasn't asked is if the individual is a gamer or not. I know from reading various sites that a lot of gamers do put there program files on a seperate hard drive .. I don't see the sence of it, but if you are die hard then I guess you wouldn't want to chance losing all of your data and such ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back