Is Firewall really needed? (For me, at least)

M

Masaki Ando

As in my other thread regarding my IP problem, I have obtained a new Cable connection. However, since I do not keep any of the computers on when no one uses them, do I really need a Firewall? Even if I am using the computers but not the internet, I can still block the internet access with my Motorola SB4200's Standby feature.

the internal firewall in xp is an excellant choice, and rated equal or better then most 2nd party firewalls...enable that, run adaware, and you're fine

Some sort of Hardware firewall is the best setup. Software firewalls are ok, but can be a pain. You don't really need one if you keep your machine patched and up to date. You really need to be stingy as well on what you download and what emails you open. I still use a firewall mainly for curiousity. To see whats coming in and out. I've found the DoS attacks have somewhat subsided. I used to get the odd attack and used the logs the firewall logs as evidence. All i see now is the odd nimda probes etc... So overall, if you are going to do the odd surfing,etc... and dont keep your PC turned on 24/7, then no, you shouldn't really need one. Just remember to keep your OS up to date with patches and be careful of what files you open as they could contain trojans etc...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back