is file sharing and transfer is the same term?

@

@n!e

hi, i would like to know whether file sharing and file tranfer is the same term?
does crossplatform(e.g. linux & windows) enable file transfer?
or enable file sharing?
thanks in advance.:confused:

as far as I know, file sharing is the act of opening up a directory of files to the public, IE sharing a folder on KaZaA or opening an anonymous public FTP.

file transfer is the actual act of sharing a file, you transfer the data from point A to point B.

for example you send a picture over MSN|ICQ|IRC|AIM|Yahoo from your machine to a friends machine.
The picture/data would be transfered from you to the other machine.

ok.. i've enter kazaa b4.. i think i get a bit idea of it.. but does tat means i need to transer or share fileson the same os or different os also possible??
soli, but i realli confuse.. does os plays important part in this file sharing n tranfer?
thanks again..:(

The OS has nothing to do with it unless you acctually want to execute code. Take an MP3 for example. An MP3 can be played on most (if not all) modern operating systems with an appropriate player. So pretty much what Speedy_B said:

File sharing: Allowing the public, a group or a person to access your file(s) in some way.
File transfer: Acctually sending a file to someone else (or someone dowloads a file from you).

And the OS has nothing to do with it, so I guess you can call it cross platform. Get the picture?

(Is this a school assignment again?)

thanks

thanks.. i think i get the picture of it.
And yes, it's my project. i'm currently doin a crossplatform(linux & windows xp) chat system. Still a lot research to be done since i'm very clear bout wat is important to be research on.
i plan to hav normal chat features such as text messaging,voice messaging, file transfer and filesharing(as what u've solve my doubts).
Thanks a lot. But if u got any valuable advice, it's alwiz welcome n appreciated. Thanks again.;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back