Is Cross Platform Gaming Possible?

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
hi all
I am expecting this to be a no, but is cross-platform gaming at all possible?
With games like Star Wars: Battlefront being available on both the pc and xbox is it possible to play each other via the xbox live and the net??

Cheers :)

indyjones said:
hi all
I am expecting this to be a no, but is cross-platform gaming at all possible?
With games like Star Wars: Battlefront being available on both the pc and xbox is it possible to play each other via the xbox live and the net??

Cheers :)
Doubt it sadly. Though they are basically the same game they are implemented differently on each platform making them incompatible. It might be possible via 3rd party server but the cost to setup such a thing to translate back and forth between the 2 platforms would 1) cause lag 2) cost $

there was talk (I think) that they were going to do this for unreal or halo or something (on the xbox)...

problem is, pc gamers would absolutely destroy the consolers, make them cry, and not want to spend more money on Live...

damn i thought as much is a shame, wanted to royally thrash my mate

I doubt Microsoft would ever open up Live to anything other than Xbox even if it was feasable.

vern said:
I doubt Microsoft would ever open up Live to anything other than Xbox even if it was feasable.
Yeah beyond opening it to gaming, it would also open it to more exploits.

There was a Japanese game a few years ago which Sega released for the PS2 and playable by Playstaion, Dreamcast and PC users on the Sega network.

So its possible, just not used very much. too much cooperation and compromise I suspect

Unfortunately in the future Microsoft plans to open up Xbox LIVE to PC users as well. One of the best things about LIVE being on Xbox only was that it allowed basically no cheating to occur. Now with it being opened to PC users, I think it'll go down hill :(

And yes in theory that would allow Xbox and PC users to play together.

Khayman said:
There was a Japanese game a few years ago which Sega released for the PS2 and playable by Playstaion, Dreamcast and PC users on the Sega network.

So its possible, just not used very much. too much cooperation and compromise I suspect
You talking about Phantasy Star Online (PSO)? That was a great game! Also as far as I Know the game was all on seperate servers so even though all of those consoles (pc included) were playing of sega servers you couldn't play say Dreamcast vs. PC. They had the seperate for server patching/exploit purposes.

Grandmaster said:
Unfortunately in the future Microsoft plans to open up Xbox LIVE to PC users as well. One of the best things about LIVE being on Xbox only was that it allowed basically no cheating to occur. Now with it being opened to PC users, I think it'll go down hill :(
Well if they wait for Xbox 2 then it will be PC vs. PC as the new Xbox is suppose to be a true PC (crippled upgrade wise is all).

Xie said:
You talking about Phantasy Star Online (PSO)? That was a great game! Also as far as I Know the game was all on seperate servers so even though all of those consoles (pc included) were playing of sega servers you couldn't play say Dreamcast vs. PC. They had the seperate for server patching/exploit purposes.
No, it was a game called Guru-Guru Onsen 2 and the different platforms could compete head-to-head, although this was only available in Japan, never made it to the west

Khayman said:
No, it was a game called Guru-Guru Onsen 2 and the different platforms could compete head-to-head, although this was only available in Japan, never made it to the west
Oh ... thats cool. They have alot of interesting things that never make it this side of the pond.

We really can't speculate on what Xbox 2 is going to be like. It's just too far off to tell of anything.

Khayman said:
And there was Quake3 which you could PC v's Dreamcast on, all you had to do was download a ~50mb map pack for the PC side, and voilla, online fun :)

Hmm personaaly i hope it will happen cause whenever i play my mate on his console he absolutly destroys me! :( Would like chance where I could realistically even the scores

SPeedY_B said:
And there was Quake3 which you could PC v's Dreamcast on, all you had to do was download a ~50mb map pack for the PC side, and voilla, online fun :)
Oh shoot I forgot about that .. was fun to play till it was all PC folks that would crush you. :(

vern said:
We really can't speculate on what Xbox 2 is going to be like. It's just too far off to tell of anything.
Yeah but there has been info that there will be 3 versions of Xbox 2. A tweaked Xbox, Xbox w/ HD, and later on (about time of PS3?) Xbox that IS a PC (cripled upgrade wise only as it'll be able to play PC games and use some PC software I believe). I agree though it is early and MS could change anything up till launch.

But the Xbox now is essentially a PC. From the rumors I've read there are chances that a harddrive may not be something they'd include and would be based off a PPC. That would be a departure from the current PC oriented Xbox.

i could see this working in sports games, racing games and things like that...but the PC user would truely have the advantage of console users in FPS, unless they had the mouse/keyboard adapter but then it would be kind of pointless...

I think a few mac and pc games are compatible.

And we all remember the old Dreamcast / PC Quake III games.
They got so owned.

hahahhhaa.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back