Is a 6800 Ultra really worth it over a GT?

wachtourak

OSNN Addict
I have finally saved up enough money to get a new graphics card, looking at a Leadtek 6800 Ultra for $1060 ($NZ) and a Leadtek6800GT for $814. I only have a Athlon (Barton Core) 2500+ (Running at about 2700+ now) so the CPU is definetly gonna be the limiting factor, taking into account my relatively slow CPU, is a 6800 Ultra really worth the extra $200? Cos I do have to buy a new PSU as well, and this is working out more expensive than I initially thought, cos the 6800 Ultra I was gonna buy, the Gigabyte one, which was only $880, they don't seem to make an AGP version of anymore.

Thanks

Ask yourself. - Is 10% performance increase worth a 25% increase?
Hell no, what a rip off. BTW That price delta between the GT and the Ultra seems a little small. Either you're getting a good deal on the Ultra or the GT you're looking at is overpriced.

Look around the forum. Some of the GT brand's have excellent reputations for overclocking.

Now my personal dilemma. Get an AGP 6800 or 800. Then next year when I upgrade to 64 BIT I'm stuck with AGP instead of PCI. This sucks.

I'm sitting on my major upgrade funds until I can go for the whole deal. 64 BIT AMD 939, PCI-e, 1MB DDR2, new video. Until then I live with what I have (which meets all my gaming needs).

Life is tough this year. The market place is in transition.

Same as above :p Love my Ultra, and not bothered about the extra i paid

the Leadtek cards are pretty great for OC'ing. the huge heatsink kinda helps keep the temp down quite a bit. i had my LeadTek 6800GT overclocked to Ultra speeds with next to no increase in temperature. Still wondering why some people did the volt mod just to boost it to Ultra speeds..... Anyway, to answer your question..... it's personal preference really.

Ummm correct me if Im wrong but arent 6800 Ultras just GTs that are overclocked anyways???

<---- Ponders the meaning of life....

wachtourak said:
I have finally saved up enough money to get a new graphics card, looking at a Leadtek 6800 Ultra for $1060 ($NZ) and a Leadtek6800GT for $814. I only have a Athlon (Barton Core) 2500+ (Running at about 2700+ now) so the CPU is definetly gonna be the limiting factor, taking into account my relatively slow CPU, is a 6800 Ultra really worth the extra $200? Cos I do have to buy a new PSU as well, and this is working out more expensive than I initially thought, cos the 6800 Ultra I was gonna buy, the Gigabyte one, which was only $880, they don't seem to make an AGP version of anymore.

Thanks

NO NO NO NO

GET BFG of course thats only my opinion but how can you beat lifetime warranty with 24/7 tech support? BFG 6800gt OC is the ****

IF BFG Cards can be purchsed in New Zealand which I think are not. Leadtek's a good choice. I own one and it rocks

mlakrid said:
Ummm correct me if Im wrong but arent 6800 Ultras just GTs that are overclocked anyways???

<---- Ponders the meaning of life....

Anyone? Bueler, Bueler, anyone?

......?......

mlakrid said:
Anyone? Bueler, Bueler, anyone?

......?......

i think the ultras probably have a better quality memory and processor much like the process of picking out the intel processors. they make a run of all the same **** ..and due to manufacturing flaws in silicon some end up better than others using the same process.

if i remember correctly..... i was askin other people how i would go about crossflashing my Leadtek 6800GT to an Ultra (think it was in the Guru3D forums...) so i wouldn't have to overclock it to get it to run at the Ultra's speeds, and i THINK someone said that the GT's actually run on memory with faster timings than the Ultra's do, so i would be better off overclocking it. not 100% sure on that though.

ElementalDragon said:
if i remember correctly..... i was askin other people how i would go about crossflashing my Leadtek 6800GT to an Ultra (think it was in the Guru3D forums...) so i wouldn't have to overclock it to get it to run at the Ultra's speeds, and i THINK someone said that the GT's actually run on memory with faster timings than the Ultra's do, so i would be better off overclocking it. not 100% sure on that though.

oh hell i have no idea how to crossflash stuff. i have a hard enough time flashing bios on motherboards. If you indeed find this flash tool lemme know :)

Well I managed to get an Ultra from a different store for close to the price of a GT, and damn it was worth it. It's sure a jump from my 5600XT...so this is what it feels like to be on the bleeding edge huh? 3DMark 05 went from 254 (don't laugh at me) to 5068 3DMarks, Half-Life 2 went from 800x600 Medium/High Details at 30FPS to 1280x1024 High Details 4xAA 8xAF at more than 60FPS (cos my monitors refresh at that res is 60Hz and I'm getting tearing, I have to turn VSync on), V8 Supercars 2 increased in the same way, I'm gonna install Doom 3 and Far Cry again tonight and see what I can do with them, and how good they look...

Any other reccomendations to push it to its limits?

congrats and im pleased you are happy with your purchase. After all, thats what its all about innit?

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back