IRQ Settings

V

vnet576

I checked my system hardware manager and I found out that several of my hardware devices share the same irq setting. Now, I know that this is bad and can impede performance. I'm not sure which device's irq I should change and to what number. Here is a screenshot of my devices and irq settings.

IRQ.jpg

If everything is working ok, don't worry about it. The PCI and ACPI specifications include IRQ sharing and XP using ACPI does very well handling it.

A quote from MS itself:

In Windows, peripheral component interconnect (PCI) devices can share IRQs. In accord with the Plug and Play capability that is defined by the PCI specification, adapters are configured by the computer BIOS and are then examined by the operating system and changed if necessary. It is normal behavior for PCI devices to have IRQs shared among them, especially on Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) computers that have Windows ACPI support enabled.

If you have ACPI enabled (which you probably do) then attempting to manually assign IRQ's in the BIOS isn't really going to get you anywhere since XP will ignore the BIOS settings if ACPI is enabled.

For more information click here:
MS Article 314068

Regards,
Dukey

Well thanks for your help. How can I uninstall my old pci 56 k modem, because I don't think that its a good idea that its sharing an irq with my video card.

To unistall a device goto device maanger right click on the device in question and select unistall, then power down the computer and remove the device. If you don't want to physically remove the device goto device manager right click the device and select disable.

Originally posted by vnet576
Well thanks for your help. How can I uninstall my old pci 56 k modem, because I don't think that its a good idea that its sharing an irq with my video card.
If you don't use the modem it won't make a difference.
If you do it probably won't anyway.

If you're thinking of uninstalling the modem to re-install and assign it another irq, then you will probably be dissappointed when windows gives it the same irq again.
I tried to get as much performance from my ti4200 by trying this (it shares an irq with a usb hub) without any luck.

Unless you have some ancient hardware you won't notice any difference at all switching IRQs. Like the above post said XP and ACPI are designed to handle IRQ sharing. The idea of switching IRQs is a throwback to the days of older Windows versions and DOS.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back