iPod Nano Battery Swelling

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
In the pictures below, the large silver bulge you can see is my Nano battery, which should actually be flush with the white casing it resides in. Im rather fortunate it didn't explode on me...

eainmaabd.jpg
eainnaabd.jpg
eainoaabd.jpg
eainpaabd.jpg

Cocking thing, I need a new iPod now! (I don't trust the crappy replacement batteries on the market).

Damn that's nasty. Have you tried eBay? A lot of OE batteries for iPods on eBay.

I would call Apple, and have them fix or replace it. no excuse for that

is that a battery about to explode in your pocket or are you just happy to see me

It's Gonna Blow!!!!!

I would contact Apple about a replacement. I would also be VERY careful how you handle that thing, those batteries exploding can be nasty I've read. Also how did you notice it was swelling like that, did it push the bottom off?

Is Apple entering the explosive battery market too? :D

I think Apple customer service would be anxious to take that off your hands.

I would contact Apple about a replacement. I would also be VERY careful how you handle that thing, those batteries exploding can be nasty I've read. Also how did you notice it was swelling like that, did it push the bottom off?

It was pushing the select button out such that it could not be depressed. Details on his blog ;)

Indeed. The damned buttons stopped working, and then I noticed that both the front and back were not flat.

Having contacted someone who works at Apple (not Apple's customer support), they've stated because I've opened it, they're not interested. Also of note, it was out of warranty, therefore I'd likely not have sent it back to Apple anyway.

As for batteries, I know of friends who have replaced their batteries, and had no problems, I'm just a little concerned that if an Apple battery can do this, then what will happen to a ****ty Chinese mass-produced battery which has not been through the same (apparently, lacking) safety checks?

send it to them in the post - lable it - BOMB! - they might be interested then :p

Indeed. The damned buttons stopped working, and then I noticed that both the front and back were not flat.

Having contacted someone who works at Apple (not Apple's customer support), they've stated because I've opened it, they're not interested. Also of note, it was out of warranty, therefore I'd likely not have sent it back to Apple anyway.

As for batteries, I know of friends who have replaced their batteries, and had no problems, I'm just a little concerned that if an Apple battery can do this, then what will happen to a ****ty Chinese mass-produced battery which has not been through the same (apparently, lacking) safety checks?

Most likely, the apple battery is a "*****y" Chinese massed-produced battery as well.

or is this what they want? you have to buy another apple product

If you didn't give them (Apple) your name (and even if you did I doubt they are going to tell Apple Support) call Apple Support and tell them that it popped open. You don't need to tell them that you opened it. See what they say then.

Tell them that it burned you when you grabbed it to see what was happening and if they don't get you another one that you will sue them. That might get their attention. ;)

Just don't give up. What do you have to loose? You have already lost the iPod.

Last edited:
Get an extension cord and an old charger, dock it and then tape the event. spontaneous Nano combustion, or explosive nano, Youtube baby!!! I betcha Apple will care than.

If you didn't give them (Apple) your name (and even if you did I doubt they are going to tell Apple Support) call Apple Support and tell them that it popped open. You don't need to tell them that you opened it. See what they say then.

Tell them that it burned you when you grabbed it to see what was happening and if they don't get you another one that you will sue them. That might get their attention. ;)

Just don't give up. What do you have to loose? You have already lost the iPod.
Not a bad idea that. Santa already bought me a replacement, but I still like the 1st Gen Nano's, so I may just have to give that a go :)

The same thing happened to me today. Was your ipod out in the cold for any amount of time? I'm trying to figure out if the cold was the problem or if it's just a cheap, faulty, piece of crap battery. Anyone have any ideas??

The same thing happened to me today. Was your ipod out in the cold for any amount of time? I'm trying to figure out if the cold was the problem or if it's just a cheap, faulty, piece of crap battery. Anyone have any ideas??

Cold is definitely not an issue if my iPod Mini is a testament of anything. My iPod mini has survived being outside, lying on the ground (unbeknown to me), while it was freezing that night (-6C). It to this day is still fully functional.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back