iPod Nano Battery Swelling

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
In the pictures below, the large silver bulge you can see is my Nano battery, which should actually be flush with the white casing it resides in. Im rather fortunate it didn't explode on me...

Cocking thing, I need a new iPod now! (I don't trust the crappy replacement batteries on the market).

Xie

- geek -
I would contact Apple about a replacement. I would also be VERY careful how you handle that thing, those batteries exploding can be nasty I've read. Also how did you notice it was swelling like that, did it push the bottom off?

falconguard

Carbon based lifeform
Political User
Is Apple entering the explosive battery market too? :D

I think Apple customer service would be anxious to take that off your hands.

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
I would contact Apple about a replacement. I would also be VERY careful how you handle that thing, those batteries exploding can be nasty I've read. Also how did you notice it was swelling like that, did it push the bottom off?
It was pushing the select button out such that it could not be depressed. Details on his blog ;)

SPeedY_B

Indeed. The damned buttons stopped working, and then I noticed that both the front and back were not flat.

Having contacted someone who works at Apple (not Apple's customer support), they've stated because I've opened it, they're not interested. Also of note, it was out of warranty, therefore I'd likely not have sent it back to Apple anyway.

As for batteries, I know of friends who have replaced their batteries, and had no problems, I'm just a little concerned that if an Apple battery can do this, then what will happen to a ****ty Chinese mass-produced battery which has not been through the same (apparently, lacking) safety checks?

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
Indeed. The damned buttons stopped working, and then I noticed that both the front and back were not flat.

Having contacted someone who works at Apple (not Apple's customer support), they've stated because I've opened it, they're not interested. Also of note, it was out of warranty, therefore I'd likely not have sent it back to Apple anyway.

As for batteries, I know of friends who have replaced their batteries, and had no problems, I'm just a little concerned that if an Apple battery can do this, then what will happen to a ****ty Chinese mass-produced battery which has not been through the same (apparently, lacking) safety checks?
Most likely, the apple battery is a "*****y" Chinese massed-produced battery as well.

gonaads

Beware the G-Man
Political User

If you didn't give them (Apple) your name (and even if you did I doubt they are going to tell Apple Support) call Apple Support and tell them that it popped open. You don't need to tell them that you opened it. See what they say then.

Tell them that it burned you when you grabbed it to see what was happening and if they don't get you another one that you will sue them. That might get their attention. ;)

Just don't give up. What do you have to loose? You have already lost the iPod.

Last edited:

falconguard

Carbon based lifeform
Political User
Get an extension cord and an old charger, dock it and then tape the event. spontaneous Nano combustion, or explosive nano, Youtube baby!!! I betcha Apple will care than.

SPeedY_B

If you didn't give them (Apple) your name (and even if you did I doubt they are going to tell Apple Support) call Apple Support and tell them that it popped open. You don't need to tell them that you opened it. See what they say then.

Tell them that it burned you when you grabbed it to see what was happening and if they don't get you another one that you will sue them. That might get their attention. ;)

Just don't give up. What do you have to loose? You have already lost the iPod.
Not a bad idea that. Santa already bought me a replacement, but I still like the 1st Gen Nano's, so I may just have to give that a go :)

piercex2

OSNN One Post Wonder
The same thing happened to me today. Was your ipod out in the cold for any amount of time? I'm trying to figure out if the cold was the problem or if it's just a cheap, faulty, piece of crap battery. Anyone have any ideas??

X-Istence

Political User
The same thing happened to me today. Was your ipod out in the cold for any amount of time? I'm trying to figure out if the cold was the problem or if it's just a cheap, faulty, piece of crap battery. Anyone have any ideas??
Cold is definitely not an issue if my iPod Mini is a testament of anything. My iPod mini has survived being outside, lying on the ground (unbeknown to me), while it was freezing that night (-6C). It to this day is still fully functional.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut