iphone question

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
so the iphone is such a good piece of hardware with some excellant programs to download but I don't want the provider which means I might buy the phone just to play

if I do this can I download the programs through my computer or do I need to use it's native provider to get those programs?

app store just connects over 3g/wifi to download apps - it helps if you have unlimited data.

You'll loose out on visual voicemail though if you don't go with the offical carrier. I believe thats the only feature you'd want to hook up with whoever does the iPhone in the US.

app store just connects over 3g/wifi to download apps - it helps if you have unlimited data.

You'll loose out on visual voicemail though if you don't go with the offical carrier. I believe thats the only feature you'd want to hook up with whoever does the iPhone in the US.
videp voicemail sounds cool but I can do that with any phone if I set it up

I am not going to switch providers there's nothing better for me then sprint but man I love the programs on that phone, so I can just go to wifi and download away?

nice

Wouldn't you just get the iPod Touch in this case? I believe it does everything the iPhone does, except make phone calls since it's not a phone.

visual voicemail sounds cool but I can do that with any phone if I set it up

Its not video, its presented as a list of numbers who left a message, you can pick which messages to listen to and delete them using the iphone interface rather than a telephone menu system.

Its not the end of the world though.

I am not going to switch providers there's nothing better for me then sprint but man I love the programs on that phone, so I can just go to wifi and download away?

nice

Yup :) All you need to do now is find an iPhone 3G not carrier locked. You will also need to find carrier unlocked firmware updates too.

Its not video, its presented as a list of numbers who left a message, you can pick which messages to listen to and delete them using the iphone interface rather than a telephone menu system.

Its not the end of the world though.

Yup :) All you need to do now is find an iPhone 3G not carrier locked. You will also need to find carrier unlocked firmware updates too.
muzikool told me something I didn't realize, I can just get the hardware minus the phone

can that download the programs from computer?

muzikool told me something I didn't realize, I can just get the hardware minus the phone

can that download the programs from computer?

well, the ipod touch is just that - an ipod.. the iPhone does have a few features that the Touch does not. Applications that use these features won't work without upgrading your Touch:

* phone (obviously) which also includes SMS
* Camera
* Apple stocks application
* Apple./Google maps application
* Apple Weather app
* Apple Notes app
* Apple Mail app

Now, there is an update for the Touch that costs $20 that brings in the Mail, Maps, Stocks, Notes & Weather apps so, if you get one used, make sure they already upgraded it (or be prepared to pay $20 extra to get the update yourself). So, after the $20 update, you're left with something near the same minus the phone features and the camera (note: you can still put pictures on the iPod Touch - just can't take pictures).

well, the ipod touch is just that - an ipod.. the iPhone does have a few features that the Touch does not. Applications that use these features won't work without upgrading your Touch:

* Camera
* Apple Weather app
* Apple Notes app
* Apple Mail app

Now, there is an update for the Touch that costs $20 that brings in the Mail, Maps, Stocks, Notes & Weather apps so, if you get one used, make sure they already upgraded it (or be prepared to pay $20 extra to get the update yourself). So, after the $20 update, you're left with something near the same minus the phone features and the camera (note: you can still put pictures on the iPod Touch - just can't take pictures).
does the touch have have an accelerometer?

The 2nd gen ipod touch has all these features minus the phone, camera and gps, otherwise they are exactly the same.

and yes both the first and 2nd gen touch has the accelerometer

and if you did have the 1st gen i believe its only $10 to upgrade to firmware 2.0 which the 1st gen has natively.

To be honest i dont know why you would waste your money on the iphone if you are actually not going to use it as a phone, just buy a touch instead.

* Camera
* Apple Weather app
* Apple Notes app
* Apple Mail app

I couldn't live without my iPod Touch, I can browse the internet, check my emails, the weather, read the news, listen to music, I sometimes just sit spinning the accelerometer, I play games, watch videos or the BBC iPlayer (for UK peeps only) view my holiday snaps, and much much more. I can even dress it up in sexy skins and adorn it with little charms if I so choose. Today mine is sporting a pretty pink silicon number with a silver letter A charm similar to the one below :cool: :laugh:

yhst-14060406919532_2030_2380027

I couldn't live without my iPod Touch, I can browse the internet, check my emails, the weather, read the news, listen to music, I sometimes just sit spinning the accelerometer, I play games, watch videos or the BBC iPlayer (for UK peeps only) view my holiday snaps, and much much more. I can even dress it up in sexy skins and adorn it with little charms if I so choose. Today mine is sporting a pretty pink silicon number with a silver letter A charm similar to the one below :cool: :laugh:

yhst-14060406919532_2030_2380027

wow someone really does love you little touch.:laugh:

Two apps dominate my usage of my phone.

Shazam and Orb. Orb is the greatest app I have used thus far (besides Shazam).

I mean, LIVE streaming tv, anywhere I go that has at least full strength Edge or better.

Saz, you need a tuner card in the PC to do live TV do you not?

i believe so, its a cool tool, but you can also just put movie in it and stream those as well.

Saz, you need a tuner card in the PC to do live TV do you not?

Yes, but I have 2. :)

And you also need a card which can stream in a particular format, which both mine do.

does the touch have have an accelerometer?
Yes, the iPod Touch also has an accelerometer. The new iPod Touch 2G has a faster processor than the iPhones.

In response to your original question, you can't get an iPhone without activating it because AT&T doesn't allow that. You can buy iPhones that are unlocked and being sold online but those are expensive and you'd be better off getting an iPod Touch 2G since you said you aren't using the phone features.

You could of course also buy one from one of the few countries that sell it without a contract :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back