iPhone Jailbreak?

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Everytime there's a new firmware out for the iPhone there's an awful lot of hoo-haa splattered over the web regarding how quickly it will be jailbroken. I can understand the need for those people with unlocked iPhones (I.e. different networks than the ones it's sold on) however a lot of people seem to also praise the ability to install third party apps.

Having had a look around, I've not seen anything which would make me want to JailBreak my phone just to install it... are there any apps out there which should make me want to jump aboard the jailbreak wagon?

think its more games and stuff that people are breaking it for

There are 100s of different apps for both iphone an ipod touch, games are just a small part of this. I myself have an ipod touch runing firmware 1.1.4 which is jailbroken. I use various apps, 1 of my favs is Uvnc client which allows me to remotely controll my pc via the wifi connection.
But if you really want to know about the thrid party apps, jailbreak you iphone an test them out, if you dont fancy it you can always restore it back again. But i supsect youll keep it jailbroken.
Heres a list of apps available via installer, all these work on both iphone and ipodtouch.

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/wiki/index.php?title=IPod_touch_Installer_source_list

I don't see the point in jailbreaking the iPhone for 3rd-party apps when the SDK is out and all kinds of supported apps will be available. Seems like a serious pain to mess with it and I'd only do it to make it work on a different network.

I don't see the point in jailbreaking the iPhone for 3rd-party apps when the SDK is out and all kinds of supported apps will be available. Seems like a serious pain to mess with it and I'd only do it to make it work on a different network.
Pain? It's pretty much a one-click thing ;)

I was just curious as to what apps where available which would make me want to Jailbreak.

As for the SDK, that only lets you run what Apple dictates, and many people have had their requests for developer licenses rejected, so many of the cool small apps will probably not see the light of day via official channels.

but if one person has the sdk and they share it - it will float about :p

The SDK is free. I have it sat in my downloads folder right now. The license to actually publish your apps however isn't free, and requires Apple's permission.

I've been tossing around the idea of jailbreaking my iPhone. I think lazyness and the fear of having it brick or something when I want to update it to a new firmware version has held me back.

Been having a look into some of the solutions out there today.

From what I can tell ZiPhone seems popular, however iLiberty and iPlus (soon to merge) are the better option? Then there's iNdependence which some people tout as a good option for people on a 'legit' contract who just want to Jailbreak (such as me).

Can anyone recommend the best method to just Jailbreak. I don't want to lose anything from my phone, all I want to do is install third party apps, so what's my best option/method?

Can anyone recommend the best method to just Jailbreak. I don't want to lose anything from my phone, all I want to do is install third party apps, so what's my best option/method?
I would be interested to know this also. I have ZiPhone sitting on my desktop, just to lazy/chicken to run it. Seems to have a feature to perhaps just jailbreak, but like SPeedY I don't wanna lose anything on my phone or mess with anything that would cause me to not use my provider.

A new tool/combo has just been released at http://ipluspwns.com/ called iLiberty+ or iLibertyX, they claim to be the safest method as they can reverse any alterations made.

I may wait a while to let others try their solution first then take the plunge... of course I may just chicken out and wait to see what the new firmware and AppStore have to offer :p

I may wait a while to let others try their solution first then take the plunge... of course I may just chicken out and wait to see what the new firmware and AppStore have to offer :p
Yeah think I'm gonna wait it out for now myself. Hoping that maybe someone will find a sploit in the SDK that tricks AppStore/iPhone/iTunes into thinking "jailbreak apps" are legit. :) If not AppStore sounds cool either way.

my ipod has 1.1.4, i have about 20 extra apps installed from chat to sketch..a great homework program, games...just great extras everyone can enjoy. Its like buying a basic pc from bestbuy and upgrading it...though the upgrades are free...idk i used ziphone and i have had no issue at all...

Yeah I would jailbreak my Touch (if I had one) in a heartbeat, but my iPhone is a bit more complicated I feel as it's tied to a carrier (and I'd like to keep it's phone functions). I know the chances of something going wrong are very small but I think I'm gonna wait for the SDK anyways.

kinky huh...the big V...i have fantastic service..just the phones are lame..i do like my moto q

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back