iPhone/AT&T data cap?

vern

Dominus
Political Access
Does AT&T put a data cap on the iPhone? Just curious before I go crazy on my jailbroken iPhone tethered to my PC.

technically, I'm not sure they do - but they will start asking questions if they notice several gigs of data going through your phone..

monthly data cut to a 5GB "soft cap" limit, and text messages capped

proposed plan, Not sure if this is in the works or speculation.

• 5GB Data Cap (just like Blackberry users) - AT&T will automatically turn off your tethering connection if you use too much bandwidth. Of note, the 5GB cap might get sliced for all users, not just iPhone users, in order to accommodate all new tethering plan customers (bandwidth demand).
• Initial connection through iTunes? (not sure if this is every time you connect, or just for initial setup)
• Expected speeds: GPRS: 30k - dialup speeds / EDGE: 110k - ISDN speeds / 3G: 1000k - slow broadband.
• You’ll want to disable auto-updates for everything, so as to not go over usage limitations.
• Will be +$30/month, new iPhone plans may be rolled out with tethering rolled in.
• Do not pro-rate tethering/bandwidth, it can become a nightmare, instead wait until new billing cycle.
• For unlimited bandwidth, AT&T will tell you to get a wireless PC card.
• No idea on a launch date.

Here is an article
http://www.macworld.com/article/139643/2009/03/iphone_and_tethering.html

Probably going to do that since you can get a skype app that uses VOIP. You would not need to use your minutes on your phone, so they will cap how much of that you can use. Typical.

Probably going to do that since you can get a skype app that uses VOIP. You would not need to use your minutes on your phone, so they will cap how much of that you can use. Typical.

Unless something has changed that Skype app can only be used via Wifi not over AT&T network.

@tdinc ... I'm not using tethering with iPhone OS 3.0. I am using it on a jailbroken iPhone.

My question still stands for everyone that knows, is there a cap for the iPhone data plan? I was told when I signed up that it was unlimited, but after reading consumerist for many months, I have a hard time believing that.

@tdinc ... I'm not using tethering with iPhone OS 3.0. I am using it on a jailbroken iPhone.

My question still stands for everyone that knows, is there a cap for the iPhone data plan? I was told when I signed up that it was unlimited, but after reading consumerist for many months, I have a hard time believing that.
You have 3.0 on a jailbroken phone already? *edit* - seems I'm behind the ball :)

As far as the cap it's probably the same as with most ISP's in the US lately, it's unlimited unless you use it. :)

AT&T may be considering offering limited monthly data plans to iPhone users as an option to help draw in more subscribers. The data cap option would include a US$10 price cut compared to the current iPhone data plan price, which fits in nicely with rumors that AT&T is planning on reducing data plan costs.

-----------
film school los angeles

larycom - you're a little behind the news.. AT&T has stated that they are not lowering the price of the iPhone plans but have promised an official tethering add-on for the 3.0 software release.

There is a cap, but you will not recieve any notice unless you go over the arbitrary limit they set. I don't know what it is. But I have friends who have received letters from AT&T saying that their service will be shut down as they use significantly more data than other users.

Bear in mind that this might be a regional cap that is reflected in how users use their data compared to other users in that region. Just be aware.

Last edited:
just to clarify since falconguard is talking about minutes when this conversation is about data in bytes :) Still mostly true, however, as tdinc pointed out, the rumors are a 5GB monthly "soft" cap.. this number is very similar to other carriers as well.

just to clarify since falconguard is talking about minutes when this conversation is about data in bytes :) Still mostly true, however, as tdinc pointed out, the rumors are a 5GB monthly "soft" cap.. this number is very similar to other carriers as well.

Good for the other carriers :)

I am paying for UNLIMITED :)

Wow! I thought the data plans on my iPhone were unlimited. Never thought about checking it out further.....this is a good discussion...

They say the data plan is unlimited so I just ASS U ME d...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back