IPCONFIG Problem

omg its nlm

lvl 17 Hax
I have a user that when he does an ipconfig here is what happens....

C:\Documents and Settings\cliff.robbins>ipconfig
Windows IP Configuration
An internal error occurred: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help.
Additional information: Unknown media status code.
C:\Documents and Settings\cliff.robbins>

Any Ideas?

does device manager see the network card?

more specifically, how many network cards are present? What OS? Did the system get upgraded fron 2000 to XP? Are there any modems connected? Are these setup for DHCP or static?

Have you tried removing and reinstalling the network drivers and/or network stack?

There is a wireless card and that is when this happens. XP Pro of course. Everything is auto detect.

Yeah I did the driver updates. I had this issue once in the past with a user and I updated the drivers and it worked for a day and then it broke again.

Its an IBM T41

I would be sure the "Workstation" Service is set to Started, ran into this the other day I think.

Is there an error with an error code in the event viewer around the time you try to run IPCONFIG?

I am having the user do a netsh to reset TCP/IP and see what that does.

I am having the user do a netsh to reset TCP/IP and see what that does.

this would have been my next sugestion.

Does this only happen when the wireless card is enabled?

Well its still not working. I had the user also reinstall his drives. I am not to sure. I think it only happens with his wireless card enabled. I am checking on that right now. Any other ideas?

Per User -
If I have a wired connection, IPCONFIG works. When I have both a wired and wireless connection, IPCONFIG also works then and reports both IP Addresses.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if IPCONFIG works both ways and reports a valid IP, what is the problem?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back