cruzinmatrix

how do you release and renew your your ip address in xp pro
im showing the wrong ip addy on my dsl line

thxs rob

open the command prompt type ipconfig /release then type ipconfig /renew

Originally posted by cruzinmatrix
im showing the wrong ip addy on my dsl line

thxs rob

how are you showing the wrong IP address? the IP is unique to your computer, if you have the wrong IP, then you will not be able to access the net. you are probably configured to use DHCP which would allow the phone company to assign you an IP.

Brad

thanks ive tried that comes up error time out wil keep trying

it looks like you are not configured for DHCP. That is your correct IP address...

Brad

Since your using DSL I am assuming that you have to use a form of PPOE not DHCP. If you can access the net on your box then they just issued you a new ip addy. If you cant get to the net on that box, what IP addy do you have? All Microsoft products issue a private IP if no IP is assigned by your ISP or other device aka router, switch.

PPPOE uses DHCP

Brad

im on the net with a 56k modem right now called my isp they said it was showing wrong ip addy had a bad storm here nocked every thing out but it will not release and renew times out

Ok....Have not set up a DSL line before. So I had no idea how the pppoe dialer program worked. So the program zaps some info to the ISP, the ISP zaps back info which includes IP addy, then DHCP gets updated with ip info..

Im guessing since you have the wrong IP addy then its the one that MS products will assign when no ip addy is assigned to it.

What is your IP addy.
only need 1st 2 octets.
ex. 255.255

Originally posted by cruzinmatrix
im on the net with a 56k modem right now called my isp they said it was showing wrong ip addy had a bad storm here nocked every thing out but it will not release and renew times out

That same storm knocked out my power for about 4 hours.

I had the same issues on my cable modem, and still occasionaly have it happen. Normall I use the release all switch and then disconnect the power from my hub, Unplug from the hub, and then reboot. Usually it'll then kick in an take the IP address I've setup. If not usually shutting down and booting up another system on the LAN will kick the router into accepting it. Irnically this did not occur until fater I did a security update from MS. Hope any of this info helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back