IP Address Question?

• Thread starter mazspeed@redshi
  • Start date
M

mazspeed@redshi

Ok, if my online computer from afar goes offline, and I try to connect to PC Anywhere on my at home computer, and cannot because when it goes offline it will reconnnect but a different IP address will be given to that computer.. How can I get that IP adress while I'm not there? Can I set something up where it will e-mail me my new ip address when It gets back online?? Is there software that will do this?

Thanks in advance all
Cheers
Mike

Check out www.no-ip.com You can get a free domain name (such as yourcomputer.no-ip.org). Then you download their small client which runs in the background which updates your IP to your domain name. The domain name will always have your current IP!

Well sort of.. I was looking for something that might either e-mail me or post to a website.. Not sure how this works, but it doesn't look like it's all that good.. I might be wrong.. anything else?

Thanks though :-D

Cheers
Mike

what justin paosted is prolly your best solution ....works very well ...no matter what your ip is you can connect thru the redirector service

How does it work? everytime you go online it sends something to this site to let you know what the current IP Address is?

Thanks again
Cheers
Mike

Yep. Then you just connect to yourcomputer.no-ip.com instead of your IP. Very usefull. There are several other sites that do this as well.

Do you have to do this everytime you go online? My problem is that when I'm out of town, and my home computer upstairs that dosent have DSL will sometimes go offline, then I won't be able to find the ip address when it goes back and redials to get back online? Is this sort of thing automatic when it goes back and redials to go back online?

Thanks again guys :)

Cheers
Mike

Check out www.no-ip.com You can get a free domain name (such as yourcomputer.no-ip.org). Then you download their small client which runs in the background which updates your IP to your domain name. The domain name will always have your current IP!

This is your best solution. I've never use PCAnywhere, but I can grasp the concept of what it does....

Anyway, what you are trying to do is access your computer at home using its IP address which you have no way of getting, this is where no-ip.com makes it easy for you. You don't need to know the ip of your computer because when your connection drops, as long as no-ip is running on the computer you want to connect to, all you will ever need to know is the address you select.... for example, say you named your computer FuzzyNutz, you can go to no-ip.com and set up the addy FuzzyNutz.no-ip.com. Then when you want to connect thru PCAnywhere, where you would normally put in the ip address, you will now type FuzzyNutz.no-ip.com and it will redirect you to the current ip of your computer at home, which is now known as FuzzyNuts.no-ip.com.

Ok Ill try it.. Thanks a lot guys... You have all been great as always..

Cheers
Mike

Originally posted by mazspeed@redshi
Do you have to do this everytime you go online? My problem is that when I'm out of town, and my home computer upstairs that dosent have DSL will sometimes go offline, then I won't be able to find the ip address when it goes back and redials to get back online? Is this sort of thing automatic when it goes back and redials to go back online?

To answer your question, this service is called a dynamic DNS service. You run a client on your local computer that periodically checks what your IP is. If it has changed since last time it checked, it contacts the central DNS server and updates it with the new IP. Another one is called http://www.everydns.net. This one lets you use a domain name you've already registered, so you could also host a webpage through this service. I know it sounds like a hack, but it's pretty slick and VERY handy when your connection is buggy and you need connectivity. If it means anything, I've used EveryDNS for nearly a year to control my home PCs and have an alias for a work PC as well.

You guys are great.. thank you so much
Cheers
Mike

:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back