Ip Address From Within Dos???

T

TuMbRaS

Does anyone know how to obtain a computer's ip address from the DOS prompt - not from within windows, or from the cmd or command utilities that you launch from within windows, but a command that you can launch from say, a boot floppy that will show the current ip address..

we are running into some wacky wireless keyboard issues which has disabled our keyboard (laptop) entirely. external keyboards dont work as well.

System is using NTFS format as well..

thanks in advance!!

~n
:)

in Win XP just type ipconfig ... for all the info do an ipconfig /all

for all the switches do an ipconfig /?

lol..... thanks for the efforts!! buTTT... i can not get into a WINDOWS environment.. the keyboard function is TOTALLY disabled - so i can not get past the CTRL + ALT + DEL screen. I have to obtain the ip address from a native dos command... ipconfig and winipcfg are both command shell utilities that must be launched from within windows using the cmd or command utilities first... and that is not an option here..

let me know if you come up with any other ideas.

also, this system is running win2k..but that is irrelevant at this point since you cant get into windows to begin with.

~n

DOS itself does not have networking capabilities... If you are not in Windows and stuck at a DOS prompt you shouldnt be able to have an IP, because you are not connected to the network.

actually, you just reminded me of a great idea!!!..

you can get an ip addy from within a network (domain) environment.. using boot disk for the nic card we are using in the laptop..i can then use the net use command to gain access to one of our network shares, and then in server manager, look to see the ip addy that shows up under the current connections to share column...

perfect!!! thanks for helping me remember that!! lol

have a great one!

~n:D

ahhhh ... no ahh problem ?? Glad to help ?? I need a drink...

LOL :D

Well you'll need the drivers for the NIC in DOS. Those will include commands to obtain the IP.

OK... so the keyboard works if you boot to DOS, but not to Windows?

What I would do if I were you would be to find out the computer name. View the leases on the DHCP server and find the computer name. There you go. There's your IP address. I am not sure if you will get the same IP address by booting to the network in DOS as you will in Windows. YES... you should because it is all done from MAC addresses, but I do not know...

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? I might have some other ideas for you.

Edit: You could also just ping the computer name from another PC on the network.

thanks for all the responses !!!
yeah.. actually, we started off with not even knowing the name of the PC. it came to us from one of our remote users (laptop) without the ability to have any keyboard functionality while in a windows environment - but could gain access to the keyboard while in DOS. So, as one of you pointed out.. yes, the boot floppy for the NIC card.. 3COM556 (for dell C600 laptops) did have the drivers necessary. We were then subsequently able to retrieve ip addy information from the server i had connected to with the net use command - it actually worked out - FINALLY!!..

thank you for all of your suggestions... :) more minds are better than one, thats for sure.!

~nick
:)

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back