Internet Speed Challenge

Because the majority of users don't really care about upload speeds, they see the big number and get all excited

The majority of users don't need a lot of bandwidth for uploads. If you need it then you pay for it.

16Mbps down and 2Mbps up will be available to Comcast customers in 2007 but it may take some time for all areas to get the new speed.

2007 price list:

Attachments

• faster.jpg
    faster.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
What does that mean?
The prices...
Does that mean my service will be 16mbps down/2mbps up without us paying more?

it looks like that is an upgrade to go to the 2mbps upload service

Ya I think there is no price increase. Since Comcast took over they increase speed each year with no price increase.

DSL Connection Status:Up Line Mode:ANSI T1.413 PVC VPI/VCI:0/32 Upstream Speed:896 kbps Downstream Speed:7168 kbps

680kbps DL
700ish UL

Speakeasy reports 6100-6600; 480-720 Depending on server.

That speed increase would be sweet. I really do love Comcast these days :D

I'm getting the Digital Voice next Saturday.

Yeah i got digital voice.
And it does work in power outages.
the modem they give comes with a battery.
Been meaning to test if the internet would work.
I like comcast for the phone and internet.
I think they suck for tv...
Like 20 channels of mine either take 5 minutes to come on, or if they do, they are all jumbled and freeze. Mainly FX does this, but some others i dont really care about as well :).
And this is the digital cable, on the non-digital cable tvs it works fine...
But i do love their internet.

Like 20 channels of mine either take 5 minutes to come on, or if they do, they are all jumbled and freeze. Mainly FX does this

You might want to have them look at that. May be a signal issue. How many tv's are hooked up. Do you have 2 modems or just the Emta?

Here is mine: With DSL, I just went back to it. Cable was given me a piss, not to mention, I am not paying the price hike that Comcast is doing this month. $57.00 a month is just plain rediculous. I kinda like cable better though. When it worked, I was getting around 14 meg down and 700k up ...

[edit]I really can not wait for FIOS to come to my area !!![/edit]

Last edited:
You might want to have them look at that. May be a signal issue. How many tv's are hooked up. Do you have 2 modems or just the Emta?
Agreed, I don't have that issue either. If you have a DVR it may be on the way out - I had that issue once (only about 60 seconds, not 5 minutes), they ended up replacing my DVR.

Let's see some real world download speeds.

This file ---> Nvidia.

Attachments

• speed.jpg
    speed.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 123
Wow, impressive. Did it download at that rate for the entire download?

742kb/sec for me, about what i expect.

I got about 1.94 pretty consistently, not too bad.

48432kbps down
14721kbps up
Montreal - New York City

But I got different speeds as I went farther into the US. Old infrastructure (as it's the first).

It's Friday, good weekend all.

9986 d / 984 u .... thats here in St. Louis with charter. Used the Chicago link. Pay for 10meg service.

When i get back home to Chicago (too freakin cold to go outside) ill check out the fiber ... its in my building and believe it or not ..is covered in the $940 monthly assessment with heat/air/water/trash.

I think its 25-35meg depending on the time of day.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back