Internet speed : 11Mbps MAX ?

percy

OSNN Senior Addict
hi. i have a 54Mbps router. i have a 100Mbps source. how fast is the internet really? is 54Mbps more than enough? thanks.

well for network it's ok usually it's 100mbps on networks but i dont think it should affect the internet speed, the fastest internet speed here as i know of is 6 or 5 mbps.

internet speed here in the US? the reason why i posted this is my wireless shows low signal and flactuates from 4Mbps - 30 to 54Mbps.. does it affect internet usage like opening sites that has graphics?

well first of all my location says toronto.
maybe you have too many walls in between or they are too far apart but i doubt it that it would affect the connection

that's what i know. it shouldn't affect the signal since i have only a floor made of wood and sheet rocks plaster walls... :(

802.11g advertises 54Mbps, but in reality, you only get about half that once overhead and other issues are over and done with. As long as your pipe to the internet doesn't exceed your wireless/network speeds, it shouldn't be a problem except within network.

thats gonna suck until I wire my house with cat6 and get a few gigabit switches...

How quick your internet speed is depends on your connection. Check what you pay for, it states the speed (or maximum speed anyway). I doubt it's more than the 4 Mbps you said was the low end on the wireless.

percy said:
hi. i have a 54Mbps router. i have a 100Mbps source. how fast is the internet really? is 54Mbps more than enough? thanks.
Unless you live on top or are connecting directly into the backbone of the ISP, you'd be getting a max of probably 4mbps for internet use only.

The wireless (11mbps/54mbps) does not affect your internet transfer rate unless you go below the internet connection bandwidth.

in my area, road runner is now offering 6mbps d/l speed. i drool every time i see the ad.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back