Internet Related Topic

N

Not Bman

I am in the process of finding a new ISP. Currently with Rogers.

But finding the right price for speed (among other things) is impossible with different companies showing different symbols.

kbit, kb/s, mbps, kbps, meg, megabit, M, KB/s Kbit, and so forth. I have searched google and found nothing useful, and wikipedia seems to have to much details on this that I don't understand.

Can anyone give a simple explanation and chart maybe. What each one is equal to and how many of each is equal to the next? Please and thanks.

1mbit = 1024K - 125K/sec
2mbit = 2048K - 250K/sec
4mbit = 4096K - 496K/sec
8mbit = 8192K - 992K/sec
10mbit = 1meg - 1024K/sec
20mbit = 2meg - 2560K/sec
50mbit = 5meg - 5120K/sec

etc think you can work the rest out from there :) thats just what we can get other here, well there is 16mbit and 24mbit as well but you can work those out :D

So where is Mbps in all of that?

and megabit or megabite ?? difference?

Yikes, it's megabyte not megabite :p

BTW, if you don't mind DSL (since you can't choose cable providers) I recommend TekSavvy I have em for phone and internet.

Found this on another site

In studying for the Network+ exam, you may run into some confusion as to the differences between MBps (Megabytes per second) versus Mbps (megabits per second). Network speeds are labeled in Mbps, so it is important to not confuse it with the more familiar Megabytes. Here is a breakdown of some useful info:

1 byte = 8 bits
1kilobyte = 1000 bytes
1 Megabyte = 1,024 kilobytes
1 megabit ~ 1,000,000 bits, or 125,000 bytes
1 Megabyte ~ 1,000,000 bytes

Hopes this clears up some confusion!

*this made it much more confusing, so rogers and most places show Mbps, how many Megabytes is 10 Mbps?

10mbit = 1.25mbyte

I always have this app on my desktop. :p (The screenshot doesn't show it but there is a Computer tab).

Here is a good site to use for your calculations:

http://www.speedguide.net/conversion.php

Its simple really if you round down for every thousand bits (1024 actual) is one kilo-bit kb \

and for evey 8 bits = 1 byte

So a true kbit @ 1024 = 128 bytes.

Cheers

Mike A!

Found this on another site

In studying for the Network+ exam, you may run into some confusion as to the differences between MBps (Megabytes per second) versus Mbps (megabits per second). Network speeds are labeled in Mbps, so it is important to not confuse it with the more familiar Megabytes. Here is a breakdown of some useful info:

1 byte = 8 bits
1kilobyte = 1000 bytes
1 Megabyte = 1,024 kilobytes
1 megabit ~ 1,000,000 bits, or 125,000 bytes
1 Megabyte ~ 1,000,000 bytes

Hopes this clears up some confusion!

*this made it much more confusing, so rogers and most places show Mbps, how many Megabytes is 10 Mbps?

Mbps is Megabits Per Second - So 10 Mbps is 10 meg ... Which is o.k for some markets ...

Mbps is how many megabits of information you can download per second.

So for a 10Mbit dsl line you can download 1.2Mbytes of data per second. Bear in mind this isn't all data from your file - some of that is tied up with communication manangement stuff. In reality the amount of useful data you can download per second decreases the further away the file is - since more manangement fluff is needed and reduces the space left for the data you want.

So for a 10Mbit dsl line you can download 1.2Mbytes of data per second. Bear in mind this isn't all data from your file - some of that is tied up with communication manangement stuff. In reality the amount of useful data you can download per second decreases the further away the file is - since more manangement fluff is needed and reduces the space left for the data you want.

Which is why a dsl line sucks ...

My thoughts exactly... with normal IP comms traffic distance has no bearing as the headers do not get bigger because an end point is further away...

Mike A!

My thoughts exactly... with normal IP comms traffic distance has no bearing as the headers do not get bigger because an end point is further away...

Mike A!

Uh... it has nothing to do with dsl, it has to do with tcp/ip adding a header for each router your packet(s) go through per transmit block. This has the effect of reducing the number of bytes available for actual data out of the 1500bytes available per packet.

There is also padding added to aid out-of-order reconstruction of fragmented packets too.

If this was not the case I'd be able to download at 1.4Mbps from US based servers :)

I would look @ the practices and policies of each company before looking at speeds of each. If a company is going to bend over for anyone asking for your information, or throttle you to hell every-time you buy a movie from iTunes or stream one on netflix, then they could be 100/100 but you'd never see it.

Mbps is Megabits Per Second - So 10 Mbps is 10 meg ... Which is o.k for some markets ...

You both just said 2 different things....which is it? 10Mbps is 10meg or 1.2meg? Cause I suppoidly have a 10Mbps connection expecting to get 10meg, but the max i can get is 1.2meg

Mbps is Magabits Per Second. 1 Mbps is 1000k which is 1 meg - so 10 Mbps would be 10 meg ..

You can do a google search for "Mbps to meg" and find all kinds of info on it.

Mbps is Magabits Per Second. 1 Mbps is 1000k which is 1 meg - so 10 Mbps would be 10 meg ..

You can do a google search for "Mbps to meg" and find all kinds of info on it.

Ok that makes sense, but why did Lord say otherwise.

Johnny..... Megabits aren't Megabytes. a 10 Mbps connection has a maximum download bandwidth of 1 MB/s. 1 Mbps = 100 KB/s

In other words.... you'd need a 100 Mbps connection to download 10 MB/s

10Mbps has a download speed of 1.2MB/sec max

10Mbps = 10240 Kilobits per second / 8 = 1280 kilobytes/second = 1.2 Megabytes per second.

Someone here can't do math (yes I ignored the last 3 numbers)

Data transfer speeds are measured in powers of 2, so everything is a multiple of 1024 for bytes which you multiply by 8 to get bits.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back