Internet Networking at a school

zapoqx

Striking Master
Well here is my question (been a while since I posted here since I've been busy with school and recently, an anime convention). I wanted to know if there is a way to sometimes bypass a firewall thing as this school seems to close majority of ports. The school can't get its crap together (yet they leave the game machines in the room I'm currently at with all ports opened... actually, all the computers at school have ports opened). We have recently a sort of a login page that just has us click login and we're in.

I don't think all ports are closed because
A: We can surf the internet.
B: If I put for example the GUNZ launcher on before I go to school and then launch the game when I'm at school, it will work (but sometimes, I have problems where other people sometimes can't see me but I can see them).

So, is there anyway that I can check what ports are opened and such and/or manipulate my system to use different ports that are available? (Similar to using one of those websites that let you surf other websites that our usually blocked)

Shields Up! can probe your ports to see which ones are open.

That being said, the help with bypassing security restrictions is against the forum guidelines.

Hacking
Hacking, cracking or other activities which involve unlawful alteration of software or access to data is forbidden. This site does not promote or want to condone the use of bypassing security of any kind. Including breaking into networks, even if you own them.
Source

Admiral Michael said:
Shields Up! can probe your ports to see which ones are open.

Sheilds Up will probe from the outside and see what ports are listening from the outside. He wants to see what ports are listening on the internal side of his firewall/network.

That being said, the help with bypassing security restrictions is against the forum guidelines.
Source

And that's as far as I will go other than to say, yes.. there are tools to do what you want and there are ways to "manipulate" your system to use said ports.

Heck, anything is possible if you put enough time, money, and resources into it. Give me unlimited resources and unlimited time and I'll make pigs fly and money grow on trees.. :)

Woops, didn't know the bypassing thing like I asked was against forum guidelines. Sorry. Anyway, thanks, I guess I'll see what I can do.

fitz said:
Heck, anything is possible if you put enough time, money, and resources into it. Give me unlimited resources and unlimited time and I'll make pigs fly and money grow on trees.. :)
Prove it :p

kcnychief said:

The Boeing JSF prototype flew. (What an ugly pig.)

The government spends money like it grows on trees and they wouldn't do anything illegal or dishonest now would they?

I just went to the shields up site clicked the link and it is scannign my ports. Why is zapoqx not supposed to be able to do the same from school?

Unfortunatly, the school's ports all reported to be stealthed except for 3 of them in the first 1056 ports. SO I tried checking a few random ports and it came to me that:
All ports except the 3 ports (which I won't mention, but 1 of them should be obvious). So I guess I take it that I am technically screwed while at school in my off time from classes.

its not the school's security as I just found out after talking with a member of the IT area.

It seems from what he says, all ports are opened.
The ports that I found opened seems to be that the Shield up! is pinging a different computer at the school (the DCHP server from what the guy said).

So I guess it is more of a matter of working with IT with trying to figure out what it is that is not letting our systems to work very efficiently.

ok.. i'm a little confuzzeled..

What the hell are you trying to do? find ports open for inbound traffic from the outside? outbound traffic originating from inside? ShieldsUp would probe the IP address you connected from - if they have a dHCP server exposed outside, that would be a "bad"(tm) thing

Hmm, now that I think of it.

You may need some sort of port forwarding rule on the firewall. The IT said the ports aren't blocked, and they he may be right but since there's no port forwarding rule setup the firewall may just me blocking the traffic. Cuz I know with my firewall at home, port forwarding opens the port.

Try this, setup some sort of server on a random port (like ftp on port 9000), then scan port 9000 with shields up and see what happens. Not sure what would happen.

Hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back