Internet in XP / Router

L

Luna64

I have been having some problems in XP Corp with the internet.

I am unsure of what is causing this to happen, but my guess is that it's the firmware on my Linksys router. I updated it and at first I did not notice any problems. But later my dad told me that while playing Backgammon in XP that he kept getting a connection lost message.

I took it to be my http server at first. I did start to notice after my dads backgammon problem that download kept freezing before they were done, and that web pages loaded very slow.

I did a system restore to an earlier time when my pc ran fine, but it did not help. After that I did a format and reinstalled XP. That did not help so I installed SP1 and it was still not working. Download are still failing.

Lucky for me I have two other D-Link routers but I can't get them to work for the love of me. My linksys runs through 192.168.1.1 , and I think my D-Links run through 192.168.0.1 if I am not mistaken ?

Though when I plug in my D-Links ( I tried them both , one after the other ) I cant get them to work. The orange light on both of them just keeps blinking and I cant access them through windows.

I had this same problem a year ago but I somehow fixed it. Don't remember how I did it though.

What I am really after here is why XP might be messing up the internet, or why my router might be doing it. And secondly, any tips on how to install a D-Link 4 port router. It's killing me :-/

It may very well be the firmware.

The D-Link should just be plugged in and then you can configure it. No problems. Make sure you have your computer set to automatic IP.

good one, Zedric!

And don't forget to update your firmware, so hackers don't get in!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back