internet from US to eurpoe

celticfan11

OSNN Senior Addict
how does internet traffic get from the US to eurpope or us to asia or hawaii.. satellites? fiber under the ocean? how how how .... :)

The Atlantic cable of 1858 was established to carry instantaneous communications across the ocean for the first time. Although the laying of this first cable was seen as a landmark event in society, it was a technical failure. It only remained in service a few days.

Subsequent cables laid in 1866 were completely successful and compare to events like the moon landing of a century later... the cable ... remained in use for almost 100 years

alliwantedweresomesharkswithfrickinlaserbeams.jpg
OR
dr.evil.jpg

depending on how old you are.

Here is a map with all of them

Attachments

• backbone.jpg
    backbone.jpg
    829.5 KB · Views: 87
that map is wrong.

I know of atleast one carrier backbone thats not on there :D

TycoTelecom.

but to answer the question - undersea fibre, microwave transmission and satellite. most of the traffic goes via undersea fibre and there are almost continues fibre laying projects laying more.

The Tyco atlantic fibre stops in the building I'm in now & telehouse east before going on to paris and amsterdam

Transatlantic cable is the answer I would have given... Course things have been moving to fibre...

Cableing of course has one advantage over satilite, namely latency. So even with satilites in orbit, networks wouldn't want to rely on it too heavily. It takes time for the signal to leave Earth, reach the satilite, and then to be beamed back down. Cabling/fibre what crosses the Atlantic can result in a lower latency connection then satilite...

Maveric169 said:
Here is a map with all of them
That looks more like logical links than physical links to me. So it doesn't really answer anything. ;)

i figured it was fiber runs across the ocean.. i just didnt think you could keep the signal going that long. so i assume they have some sort of repeaters for the fiber or something similar to repeaters...or some nonsence that works :)

Its all done by magic, magic pixes row the data over in boats. That and donkeys

celticfan11 said:
i figured it was fiber runs across the ocean.. i just didnt think you could keep the signal going that long. so i assume they have some sort of repeaters for the fiber or something similar to repeaters...or some nonsence that works :)
No I think you acctually can send a signal that far in fiber. I could be wrong. ;)

there are undersea repeaters as the optical signal will only go for 3000km and its 7000 or so to NY - and some of the cables take weird routes.

Here at Coreix our routers have long haul optic transcievers that can transmit along fibre upto 1000km long.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back