internet explorer problem

R

royalstud02

For some reason I am having a problem with internet explorer. I can still go to websites and stuff like that. But if something pops up or say i click on a hyperlink and it opens it in a new window, then that new window or pop-up never loads. Does anyone know how to fix this? If not, could someone tell me how to uninstall internet explorer and then reinstall it? Or maybe even tell me how to have it automatically fix itself like my other computer will do in windows me. thanks

if you want to remove it, go to Add/Remove Programs then Windows Setup button, uncheck the IE checkbox, that is it

royalstud02: Just and FYI...You only need to post your question once. I've deleted your other 2 posts that were the same question.

Jewelzz :)

royalstud02 u have any firwalls or pop up stopper software inslatted? That is probably your problem if you do.

:cool:

i have done that before, but all it does whenever i do it is remove some shortcuts, doesn't completely remove it.

somehow GAIN did end up on my computer and i was curious about it so i went to their site. www.gator.com . And they said the only way to remove it is to unistall the programs associated with it and then reinstall them. I'm not behind a firewall either.

You can't uninstall IE, it's that simple, it is not an option yet........

well do you is there a way for it to automatically fix itself like in windows me? or is the only way to fix ie is to reinstall xp?

U have two options

1. Start > Run > type "command" hit ok then type: SFC /SCANNOW ,and hit "enter". This will perform a System File Check and replace any missing or corrupt system files with the originals.
Have your XP CD handy since you will be prompted to insert it in the CD Drive.

or

2. Boot with the XP CD in > Select the repair option

I would do the first one myself,

good luck

Try this
repair IE6 in XP
Start Run
regsvr32 urlmon.dll

Originally posted by Iceman
1. Start > Run > type "command" hit ok then type: SFC /SCANNOW ,and hit "enter". This will perform a System File Check and replace any missing or corrupt system files with the originals.
Have your XP CD handy since you will be prompted to insert it in the CD Drive.

Iceman Perhaps a bit off subject but - I have the infamous "hidden partition recovery deal" on my HP - ie - no XP cd.

Just curious - what happens if I run SFC/SCANNOW - will it go to the hidden partition and seek the missing/corrupt drivers??? It seems like in Win98 it used to seek the missings/corrupt from the cabfiles???

Any idea???

Sorry if I disrupted the thread with this question.

damnyank, I'm sorry, I have no answer for that question, my guess would be it would work, if it didn't ask u for the CD, but if it asks you for the CD, your screwed because you don't have it.

But, I don't really know, personally I would throw a fit with HP, and demand a CD, but you won't get it. In the future you'll know better and hopefully build your own.

give it a try, the worst thing it will do is make you reformat and reinstall, shoot I do that once a month. LOL

Thanx Iceman - but I'd just as soon not have to reformat and reinstall just for the sake of trying this!

I think you'll agree! Perhaps sometime I'll get to the point whwere the SCF/SCANNOW is my last option and then I'll try it!
:D

BTW - I can pay for a phone call to HP and they'll send me a cd (probably with just the OS on it) for something like $8.95.

I would be on the phone right now, not talking to me. LOL

when I reformat and reinstall, I use Drive Image, so I don't have to reinstall everything and it keeps my tweaks and stuff, very fine program.

From start to finish takes me about an hour to reformat and reinstall from the back-up cd's, nothing to it.

I currently have my whole hard drive imaged on cd's using Drive Image 2002 - you are right I need to make that phone call!

EDITED:
I called HP - spent about 17 minutes on the phone (not an 800 number). Recovery set consists of 7 cd's - cost me $10.65 with tax - which was supposed to cover the "cost of producing and shipping the cds". Due to arrive on July23rd!

7 cds seemed like a lot of cd's to me - does that sound right?

I say it sounds like a rip off to me - should have gotten the cd set with the puter!

:rolleyes:

Did they say XP CD would be included or just the recovery crap?

I wouldn't pay for it, but it's your choice.

This is what the HP site page says:

Ordering a Recovery CD set
A System Recovery from the hard drive may not be possible in some circumstances. A recovery CD set is needed for the following three reasons:

The computer's hard drive has failed.
The computer's hard drive has been or will be upgraded.
The computer's hard drive has been formatted or re-partitioned.
You may order a Recovery CD set by calling HP Customer Care at (208) 323-2551.

NOTE: When you run the Recovery CD set, the hard drive will be re-formatted. Consequently, any files or new software that you have saved or installed on the computer will be removed.

I am a newbie (obviously or I would not have purchased the HP without the cds to start with) - so I know nothing more than what it says - never talked to a "tech support type" - just someone taking the order!

Guess I have been had and a lesson learned the hard way - gotta try to make the most of it and I am learning!

I did question the cost - they basically asked if I wanted the cds or not - I said yes and they said it'll be $10.65. So my option was to pay and get the cd set or forget it - LOL - and still pay for the phone call!

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by royalstud02
For some reason I am having a problem with internet explorer. I can still go to websites and stuff like that. But if something pops up or say i click on a hyperlink and it opens it in a new window, then that new window or pop-up never loads. Does anyone know how to fix this? If not, could someone tell me how to uninstall internet explorer and then reinstall it? Or maybe even tell me how to have it automatically fix itself like my other computer will do in windows me. thanks

royalstud02,

Go to this link Click here .

Had the same problem myself and this sorted it out.

Hope this helps ;)

Alan

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back