internet explorer prob

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
seems on a couple of sites right now, and only since this new box, the page won't complete...it just hangs unless I physically stop it

this is with or without add blocking

the address that the browser hangs is the address of the page, so it's not hanging on an add

this didn't happen on my old box

That happened to me about a year ago (after some settings I made to IE I think) so I don't remember all the details right off.

But what I had to do that corrected the problem was add OSNN to my trusted sites in IE.

Then around a month later it happened again (there again I tightened the settings in the firewall) so I set OSNN up in my firewall to allow.

Was back to normal after that and been fine sense.

have you tried getting IE back to its defaults in advanced?

have you also tried using windows update, what sp are you using?

Hey Perris. I've found a small .reg that has helped me solve a truckload of IE issues. While my superiors don't like it as it ruins their IE restrictions they've put on the image --- I've found it useful for getting my clients back into their intranet applications. I created a reverse of it to satisfy their concerns. ;)I've attached it as .txt - rename it to .reg and execute it (take a look first)

What it does is simply delete all the IE keys that have to do with restrictions, trusted sites, etc... and you can change the home page it sets it to - I've set it to yahoo.com but it can be anything. Once it deletes the keys, it recreates them - with of course - no values in the keys (IE defaults)

I'm not sure if it modifies any of the advanced settings.

Attachments

• IE_reset_restrictions.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 66
Here's how it's laid out. As you read through it, you get an idea what it's doing. For all you out there who face a restricted browser in the office, well here's your holy grail. Unless your admins restrict you (as they should) with group policies. They would overwrite the changes made by this file.

REGEDIT4

; Unlocks the Homepage
; Restores all the tabs
; Removes all IE restrictions including Toolbar restrictions

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel]
"HomePage"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel]
"HomePage"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions]
"NoSetHomePage"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]
"NoToolbarCustomize"=dword:00000000
"NoBandCustomize"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoToolbarCustomize"=dword:00000000
"NoBandCustomize"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Show_FullURL"="no"
"Show_ToolBar"="yes"
"Show_URLToolBar"="yes"
"Start Page"="Http://www.yahoo.com"
"Show_StatusBar"="yes"
"Show_URLinStatusBar"="yes"
"Window_Placement"=-

Have you tried flushing out the cache and temp internet files? This usually helps me when pages don't load up properly.

ming said:
Have you tried flushing out the cache and temp internet files? This usually helps me when pages don't load up properly.

tried this, no joy

Mastershakes said:
Hey Perris. I've found a small .reg that has helped me solve a truckload of IE issues. While my superiors don't like it as it ruins their IE restrictions they've put on the image --- I've found it useful for getting my clients back into their intranet applications. I created a reverse of it to satisfy their concerns. ;)I've attached it as .txt - rename it to .reg and execute it (take a look first)

What it does is simply delete all the IE keys that have to do with restrictions, trusted sites, etc... and you can change the home page it sets it to - I've set it to yahoo.com but it can be anything. Once it deletes the keys, it recreates them - with of course - no values in the keys (IE defaults)

I'm not sure if it modifies any of the advanced settings.

no joy

Try this Perris:

Open an ms-dos prompt window and type the following hitting enter after each line.
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Urlmon.dll

Another good one is to go into safe mode and delete index.dat

Mastershakes said:
Try this Perris:

Open an ms-dos prompt window and type the following hitting enter after each line.
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Urlmon.dll

Another good one is to go into safe mode and delete index.dat
ya, I tried regegistering the dlls allready, should have said that

no joy

thanx anyway mastershakes

perris said:
ya, I tried regegistering the dlls allready, should have said that

no joy

thanx anyway mastershakes

Nice. At least we are getting closer. I'll keep hunting. Try deleting index.dat.... it's in your documents and settings .... blah ... blah... Temporary Internet Files.

Safe Mode, bring up command prompt, navigate to the directory and del index.dat

best way to delete index.dat is from another user account...cute little trick

will give that a go too

Does it only do this in IE or does it do it in other browsers?

just got the box, havn't installed anything else yet

firefox tonight

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back