Internet Explorer Manage Add-ons (Windows Update)

Sexo um Pato

qvack qvack qvack
Hey All,

I have a legit copy of XP with a legit serial...i've just gotten off the phone to MS and am entirely pi$$ed off that they didn't help me. So i've done some research on the net and found a solution to my problem. Hopefully this will help others if they face a similar issue.

Basically I check the Windows Update site to update my computer every week and recently tried to do so as per usual. The only problem being that it says I have a pirate key! But I don't and I still have my original disk with the install key on it and my receipt from where I bought it etc.....grr.

I have read that to log onto the update site (I mean I have a good key, and since MS won't help me I'm doing this myself) you can disable the activeX Add-on in internet explorer.

To Manage (Enable/Disable) your Add-ons in Internet Explorer. You are normally able to do this by clicking:

Tools
Manage Add-ons
then enabling or disabling Active X controls

For some reason I could not do this as it says "The administrator has blocked access"...well I am the administrator and I didnt block access!

I found out how to fix this problem:

Start
Run
type "gpedit.msc" (without the "")

a new window will pop up. Browse to:
Computer Configuration
Administrative Templates
Internet Explorer

Then on the right hand panel double click on:
"Do not allow users to enable or disable add-ons"
Check the "Disabled" box and off you go!

Anyway, I hope this helps....

holy crap!:dead:

no sooner have i said this...but after i downloaded more updates....this option stopped working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't enable/disable the Windows Genuine Advantage add-on anymore and it's stuck on enable....

Last edited:
well...yes! they should...how many phone calls do I have to make to them before I start trying my own methods though???

would appreciate some help plz...?

Have you talked to someone higher up then the help desk? Like ask for there manager or something?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back