Internet Explorer cut off time?

T

tomsxp1

Hello, Everyone: Can someone please explain to me how to do this, Check to make sure Internet Explorer does not have the 20 minute idle timer enabled, to do this open up Internet Explorer,
click on View => Options => Connection. The 'disconnect if idle for more than..." setting can be found here. If you open a connection
using Internet Explorer and use another program for 20 minutes or so, Internet Explorer will consider idle time as time that Internet
Explorer is not being used. Even if you're downloading a file using Internet Explorer for longer than 20 minutes! I cannot find this anywhere on my XP? I have IE6 preinstalled! The reason i want to know is I keep loosing my Internet explorer after surfing for an hour or more and I don;t know if its my AOL or a faulty IE! When i loose it , i can see i am still connected to my ISP but cannot get back on the internet Unless i restart my pc each time, then it is ok for awhile again! Anyone else have this problem, Please let me know what you guys think? Tom

As far as I know Internet Explorer does not have any sort of Timer on it...the problem is probably that your using AOL and your using internet explorer from the desktop and not the one thats embedded into the aol browser....this means aol is timing out because it thinks your not using it. To prevent it you'd either have to use the built in IE, or find a program to keep your aol connect alive when it is not the active window.

Qumahlin, Thank you for the input, i was thinking the same thing, but a few people still insist that they can get to this idle time feature with the directions i have above on there xp's. Have you tried to bring it up with your xp? One thing i don't understand is that when this happens AOL seems to be still connected to my Pc but not the internet, so why do i have to restart the pc each time? Why can't i just launch AOL Browers and go directly to the internet without restarting?

There IS an idle timer on IE. I discovered it a few days ago when I was messing with some settings(XP PRO). I am not at home at the moment but when I get home I will find it and post it here. I really don't think it would be the problem in your case though.

HaxCode

HaxCode, It probably isn't my problem, as we dicussed above, but let me know,if you can, eactly what you find and how to get to it? I have xp home. I am really curious about this idle time business Thank You tom

allright here is what you do:

1 Goto Internet Explorer
2 Click Tools
3 Click Internet Options
4 Click Connections
5 Highlight your connection service (mine is Earthlink) by clicking on it once
6 Click Settings
7 Click Properties
8 Click Options tab
9 In the box where it says "Ide time before hanging up" choose never

There ya go!!

Brad

xxbigeyedfishxx: I got as far as #7 I tried to click on Properties and it would not show the Properties,, Do you think AOL is stopping me from getting in there? Tom

i seriously doubt that AOL is doing it. however, in case they are, there are many programs out there that will keep aol from cutting your connection. one of my favorite sites to use is download.cnet.com. just search for aol timer or something of that nature. maybe even a search for aol will help.

Brad

Brad, Thank You , I will check it out and get back to you ,, TOm

It's not IE nor AOL it's a feature of the DUN properties of DUN allow you to set an idle time number default is 20 min.

This is the same applett where you can set number and interval of dial up tries.

djmorgan--
the connection time out is not available in dial up networking in xp. i had checked that already. the way to fix it is the way that i specified in IE. Seeing how MS makes the Internet Options and the Options for Internet Explorer the same, it will take care of itself from there. Also, if he wanted to make sure that AO Hell is not disconnecting him, he can download one of the many apps that are out there to keep him from getting disconnected. But, we will not now what happened until he comes back and answers us.

Brad

oh and its not an applett, an applett is a program made in Java. this is a dialog box.

Brad again

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back