Information Internet Explorer 8

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political Access
Ok, so if anyone has downloaded the beta it will be more than a little obvious that there are a few aspects of the site that look completely ****ed.

I'll look at creating a Virtual Machine so I can update things to work with as many of the common browsers and IE8 when I can until then I would recommend Ie7 compatibility mode as alot of sites are going to be affected by this.

i wouldn't bother trying to sort it out till at least the rc stage, alot can change from now until then

Beta 1 isn't very good at true standards. The new site Ryan (muzikool) and I are working on for my company looks like complete crap under IE 8 when it works perfectly with IE 7, FF, and Opera. I wouldn't trust it at this point.

I am downloading it right now. :D

Screw you guys and your logic.

It's almost done installing actually, I'll be back after testing it's security features during an extensive online banking session.

Beta 1 isn't very good at true standards. The new site Ryan (muzikool) and I are working on for my company looks like complete crap under IE 8 when it works perfectly with IE 7, FF, and Opera. I wouldn't trust it at this point.

Need linkage :)

It's quite buggy right now. Feels more like an alpha than a beta honestly. IE7's first beta was much better than this.

But, as always, the actual browser still looks and feels (other than the lag) better than FF default.

FF3 is a better browser but it needs to borrow a few of the bookmark features from IE7 and 8.

I'm not sure FF is a better browser than IE. IE's javascript engine doesn't crash when you make it do stuff for instance :)

IE 8 was supposed to pass the Acid 2 tests, and it still fails. Tsk tsk.

Oh, how is it doing on Acid 3 which is all the rage these days?

Is vBulletin/the front page doing any browser sniffing with regards to what CSS gets sent down the pipeline? Also, as more and more updates come out for web apps, and IE 8 gets updated I expect sites to start behaving better.

It passes the acid2 test if you run it from where the acid test is hosted.

How do they fail the test if they pass the test?

:eek:

I do not understand this X-instenceology. :(

what exactly is the purpose of ie 8 instead of patches for ie7?

How do they fail the test if they pass the test?

:eek:

I do not understand this X-instenceology. :(

Because they fail to do the fallback that is required if they can't render the <object>. So they fail the test, except when the URL matches. There is a reason why fallbacks exist in HTML and the specifications.

That is considered a fail.

Yup. They do explain it.

As far as the ACID3 test goes, from what I read every broswer at the moment fails it.

Sure, but IE 8 is a miserable failure. FireFox 3 gets about 50, the latest WebKit nightly gets 90, the non-nightly gets 39, and IE 8 gets 7.

The WebKit guys have already said that they are going to tackle the last 10 bugs and when they pass each and every one they will post on the blog. IE 8 is late with Acid 2, how long will it take to pass Acid 3?

I am not saying this since it is another Microsoft product, I am happy IE is finally moving towards being standards compliant, it means less work for those of us who use it. It would however be even better if they also moved towards standard compliant JavaScript (which is what Acid 3 tests), as well as SVG support.

You do realize that you are talking badly about a Microsoft product right?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back