Internet Explorer 6 problem

J

joe.shearer

I have Windows XP Home and Internet Explorer 6. my problem is that when I log on to my ISP if I use the address bar to move around, fine but as soon as I attempt to use search engine the computer re-boots. I am told that this is a 'known problem' any one got a 'known solution' please

Haven't heard of that one. To get an error message right click my computer\properties\advanced\startup & recovery\settings. Untick auto restart & see what the error is.

That would be a little difficult because the computer just switches itself off. Would I be able to do that AFTER the reboot

If by saying it switches off you mean reboots than doing that up there ^^^^^^ will give you an error then you have to reboot. If it still reboots when told not too then I don't know. :confused:

Doofus

First of all thanks for your attention.

What happens is that I start I E and go through to my ISP as normal. If I try go to a web page using the address bar then fine it takes me there. BUT if I type a query into a search engine initially Google(but I have tried others with the same result) as soon as I tell it to search, the screen goes dark and the computer switches off and restarts (as in CTRL/ALT/DEL or cold start). Nothing I can do to get around this.

The Vendor says this is a known problem and I should install IE6.1 but how do I do this when I can't get to the download page and is there an IE 6.1

Have you tried using the msn explorer that is all ready loaded with xp, the butterfly one?

If you can search ok with that then you can unistall I.E. and then reinstall.

If you need any help with the unistall /reinstall, please post back.

This is all I can think of at the moment but I'm sure there are a few people here with other soultions.

Hope this helps you
Alan
bluegrab.gif

Thanks Alan I will try that, I am still puzzled by the fact that I'm being told that it is a 'known problem' but it appears that no-one who should know (you guys here) know about this 'known problem'

Try what TwoZigzagColt45 suggested above & see what that does.
I've installed sp1 & my IE version is 6.0.2800.1106.

Hey Joe,

Have you tried the 1st step of that page?

In the Open/run box, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK. Note that you may be prompted to insert the Windows XP installation CD-ROM.

Note the space after sfc /

You will need the Xp CD for this, when promted for the CD be patient it will take 5-10 mins

If not then you need to follow the instructions for method 2

I understand your frustration in this, I done a search on google relating to your problem and it dosen't seem to be a "known issue"!!

By far the easiest way to resolve your problem is to un-install and then re-install I.E.

If you need any more help please post back.

Cheers
Alan
bluegrab.gif

Thanks guys I will attempt all the fixes and hopefully get (gratefully) back to you all

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back