Internet Dropping Out Every Minute?

M

McSpermie

I'm having some odd issues with my internet (and computer in general) I hope we can address. Since about a week ago my internet on my desktop has been dropping out every minute or so for about 5 seconds and as a whole been going much slower than before (I used to have speeds of ~20mbps and now it is 2.8mbps). It has been insanely frustrating since I've been downloading a ton of mods for Fallout New Vegas. However, this is only an issue with my desktop, my laptops both work completely normal. I have called my ISP 3 times and have been told my internet is functioning normally. So I'm set on the idea it is related to something I have done recently. The only thing I can think of is about a week ago I attempted to update iTunes and it crashed the entire computer and wiped itself off my harddrive. My computer still thought it was installed so I uninstalled through the control panel and even still programs like Mediamonkey are saying it's still installed.
I don't know if the events are related, but it's as far back as I can remember having this issue.
I fear it might be something worse though, for about 2 weeks I have been getting completely random blue screens when I am not doing anything, and have no idea how to fix it. I am afraid my motherboard is dying. What are some ways to analyse my motherboard to see if it's the cause for these blue screens? And more importantly, how can I fix the internet on this computer? Any help would be truly appreciated and I apologize for the long post. Of course, here are my specs:
Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz
4GB RAM
GPU: GeForce GTX 470

If I'm missing any info let me know.

sounds like a virus to me, you've done a virus scan I imagine?

have you tried a system restore to a few weeks ago?

sounds like a virus to me, you've done a virus scan I imagine?

have you tried a system restore to a few weeks ago?

I have done a scan with malwarebytes, and I haven't tried a system restore because I would lose to much if I did. Someone told me it might be botnet, does anyone know of a program to use to search for botnet on my comp? Thanks for the response, btw.

Using the laptop, download one or more (it's always good to get a second opinion) of the bootable scan tools and burn a Cd/DVD to boot from and scan the infected machine. If the deksotp is nto set to boot from DVD change it to allow the boot. The virus scanners load a clean operating system and virus scanner into memory. Google "best free bootable antivirus". The top rated changes as updates are done.

Back up your data before attacking any virus, they fight back and data loss may result.

You may also need to repair the hard disk master boot record since some of the nastier virii hide in the boot sector.

Or

When the ISP tells you your internet is fine it means the connection to their equipment is fine (server to modem). But since the laptops are good skip the router and :
It could just be a bad internet card (NIC) or cable for that matter in the desktop.
If the desktop is wireless connected then it could be interference also.
Any new wireless gadgets for Christmas?
If you have one you can use a USB Ethernet dongle (you can pick a cheap one up for ~$5) on the PC and turn off the internal NIC to see if the problem cleans up.

Using the laptop, download one or more (it's always good to get a second opinion) of the bootable scan tools and burn a Cd/DVD to boot from and scan the infected machine. If the deksotp is nto set to boot from DVD change it to allow the boot. The virus scanners load a clean operating system and virus scanner into memory. Google "best free bootable antivirus". The top rated changes as updates are done.

Back up your data before attacking any virus, they fight back and data loss may result.

You may also need to repair the hard disk master boot record since some of the nastier virii hide in the boot sector.

Or

When the ISP tells you your internet is fine it means the connection to their equipment is fine (server to modem). But since the laptops are good skip the router and :
It could just be a bad internet card (NIC) or cable for that matter in the desktop.
If the desktop is wireless connected then it could be interference also.
Any new wireless gadgets for Christmas?
If you have one you can use a USB Ethernet dongle (you can pick a cheap one up for ~$5) on the PC and turn off the internal NIC to see if the problem cleans up.
Thanks for the response, I will try to run some antivirus programs soon. As for the actual connection, I'm pretty sure it's solid. But it might be worth an investment to get a usb ethernet dongle if the scan comes up clean. So you don't think the motherboard is failing? Obviously it's hard for you to say, but are these possible symptoms? I will update after I've done the scans.
Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

I now have a new issue, when I get to the first stage of Kaspersky Rescue, it tells me to press any key to continue. However, it doesn't recognize any key input I do. I tried two different keyboards. I don't think a virus can prevent key inputs when I've booted from a CD, any tips to get it going?

Last edited:
Once you get to the EULA, you have to "Click" the text screen with your mouse first then it accept your keyboard commands.

Last edited:
Once you get to the EULA, you have to "Click" the text screen with your mouse first then it accept your keyboard commands.

Turns out it was just a setting a had to change in the BIOS, but after I updated it and ran it it found something and got rid of it. Now my internet speeds are back from 2.8MBps to 24.79MBps! Everything seems like it's back to normal. Hopefully, the virus was also the cause of the Blue screens. Thank you so very much for linking that program, it really saved my comp. I really appreciate it :D

Edit: Nevermind, I have a different issue now. It seems my speeds are normal again, but my comp still is constantly attempting to "sending request" and takes awhile before it actually starts to load the page. Is the virus still alive? Should I run Kaspersky Rescue again? Sorry this ordeal never ends.

Last edited:
I tried firefox and it also hanged for awhile before loading. I did another scan and it didn't pick anything up. I tried resetting my router and modem and I'm still having this issue. Unless you can recommend a new course of action I don't think there's anything I can do.

Do you have a router hooked up? If so, is it a linksys? If so, disconnect it and hook the computer direct to modem and see what it does.

What I said about second opinions above... Kaspersky is typically the best but sometimes a single AV program will miss an infection. Try a second one and remember to download and burn the CD from a known clean computer.

AVG - Rescue CD | PC Rescue and Repair Toolkit

or here is the whole list:

Free Bootable AntiVirus Rescue CDs Download List

When I had an issue with pages very slow to load it was an install issue. Two of three browsers were slow the third was fine.

Also we forgot to mention a few virus features above. Virii are getting smarter and can hide in things like your restore point files and your pagefile. Turn these functions off and delete the files manually when doing an AV scan.

Also, the virus could have damaged drivers or browser system files. Uninstall each browser and reinstall it if there are no additional virii.

Or just try another fresh browser, Firefox, Opera, etc.

You might also have to repair the Windows installation. Fortunately this is easy and a lot safer in Win 7 than the older versions.

The good news is you don't have to worry about your hardware now. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back