Internet dial up delay

S

seeme

I connect to the net via ADSL, i use a 3com etherlink PCI combo NIC (3C900-combo) network card, and when i boot up into windows it take about 20 seconds before i can actually 'dial up' to thein internet.

i am able to open other programs and do other processes whilst i am waiting but cant instantly connect to the net like i used to in win 98.

what i have noticed, is that after the approx. 20 seconds, my floppy drive 'grunts' as if its quickly accessing a disk, the screen refreshes and then i can dial up.

any ideas?

cheers

jeremy
:confused:

Services are being loaded when this occurs, some services are needed before you can connect to your DSL, part of the NT Technology that XP is built on by design, the problem is not with your system.

I think that may have something to do with Notron Anti-Virus. I expierence a delay at bootup sometimes when Norton has a red X over it for about 20-30 seconds before some things will work on my PC, like AIM and MSN Messenger, and some other internet apps (but i have static IP cable).

JJB6486

well yes, i am using norton - i changed to it from avx. I didnt like the revamped version of avx. I havent found a decent anti-virus proggie since.... :(

i'll delete norton and see if that helps, i've also just changed my network card to an SMC1211 model...that might help...

we'll c.

thanks for your quick replies!
:)

This kkind of "startup delay" is usually due by a bad network connection, missing network connection, or network card connected improperly.. In either case, Windows is trying to initialise the network, and it fails some of the tests, or times out for some reason.

I had this problem too when I had 2 network cards. One was sitting there without any porpuse, and the other had my ADSL connection plugged on it. It took 30-60 seconds to finally load everything. As soon as I removed the other network card, it came back to normal and loaded super fast again.

Another time, my ARJ-45 cable was twisted and there was bad connections in the cable somewhere... I changed the cable and fixed the problem.

Another time, it was only a bit loose in the ARJ-45 jack.. Fixed it by putting it back in properly.

So I doubt it is the antivirus, really doubt. Cause I had the same thing with McAfee, and I thought it was the program, until I removed my other card. It's actually because the AV progs are services that starts after every network component is loaded. So it could have been anything else, it's just a coincidence.

In your case, check your wireing, make sure the cable is in good condition, see if there isn't any other periphericals interfering with the card (try removing some and see if it's better). If you find something that is blocking the net card, try to move everything around on different PCI slots, in different orders (try many combinations). I've seen sound cards messing up network cards before...

Anyway, hope that helped a little.

yup, cheers, ill try that also. i've tried 2 pci slots so far. one slot doesnt even detect that i have a network card plugged in! but i was aware of problems like that anyway... its a pain, cause im using an abit kt7 with raid motherboard...cost me an arm and a leg when i got it almost 1.5 years ago...

:) thats computers for ya. im also using a SBL 5.1 ...im confused as to why they get such a bad rap...im quite pleased with my card, i bought it for the digital out and high fidelity (im a classical violinist and i like my dance music LOUD) so that i could connect it to my amp and huge speakers :D

ill see if it helps and report back.

J

delay

You guys have any luck?

Myself and a few friends have this EXACT problem. It always seemed to work fine after MSN messanger loaded, so i tried the disable thing, no help, rename the folder no help, YES MSN doesnt load now, but the delay is still there!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back