Internet connection sharing

M

meisme

Whats the easiest way to allow two computers to share a dsl connection. I dont want the computers to share files. The computers are running winxp pro and win98. I am aware that I have to purchase a router. Will the router allow each computer to individually connect to the internet?

A router is about all you need. It will do what you are wanting to do. I have 4 computers sharing cable off a router. 1 Windows 1 Mac and 2 linux machines.

Will it involve a lot of configuration. I been looking around adn as far as Ive seen it look really simple to establish a network, the only problem that I have is the computers are running different OS's. That maybe the only problem that I have.

A router will require only a little configuration. There should be a guide with it. Post problems here if you get stuck! :)

Different OS:s is no problem as long as they support DHCP (they do).

you can always use ICS and thats cheaper. All you need to do is buy a cheap hub that you can find for about 10 bux on sale

Posted by Zedric
A router will require only a little configuration. There should be a guide with it. Post problems here if you get stuck! :)

Different OS:s is no problem as long as they support DHCP (they do).

This looks like a good place to post my question :)

I have basically same set up as TKC, except I have winxp home on one and win98 on the other. I am using a D-Link DI-704 residential gateway to share my dsl connection. The sharing part works great, easy to set up and no hitches on that part.
My problem is that I DO want to share files between computers and I thought this setup would allow me to, but I've tried EVERYTHING I can think of, and neither computer sees the other on the network. The only way I can share files between my coputers is to set up file severs on each, and that is such a pain in the a**! I am at a loss, and very frustrated hehe
HELP!!!?? lol
Thanks
:)

You dont even need that, just buy a Cross over cable to link them together if the ADSL is connected via USB. and then just use internet connection sharing, although i had some problems with ICS, but i think that thats mainly my isp. I had to download PPPOE and make the computer conencting to the net think it weas dialup and then ICS worked perfectly

ahh, good old cross over cable, i forgot all about it, thats even more simpler!

Posted by beanieman
This looks like a good place to post my question :)

I have basically same set up as TKC, except I have winxp home on one and win98 on the other. I am using a D-Link DI-704 residential gateway to share my dsl connection. The sharing part works great, easy to set up and no hitches on that part.
My problem is that I DO want to share files between computers and I thought this setup would allow me to, but I've tried EVERYTHING I can think of, and neither computer sees the other on the network. The only way I can share files between my coputers is to set up file severs on each, and that is such a pain in the a**! I am at a loss, and very frustrated hehe
HELP!!!?? lol
Thanks
:)
Well, it shouldn't be a router problem, but have you got the latest firmware just in case? Is Simple File Sharing on in the computers? Do the computers see themselves on the network? Are they in the same workgroup?

Posted by Zedric
Well, it shouldn't be a router problem, but have you got the latest firmware just in case? Is Simple File Sharing on in the computers? Do the computers see themselves on the network? Are they in the same workgroup?

ok, here's an update to my problem. I do have the latest firmware update, simple file sharing is on on both computers and they are both in the same workgroup.
I am running NIS 2002, so as a last ditch thing, I tried disabling it. That solved half my problem! :)
On my computer running WinXP I can now see the computer running Win98, but not vice versa. When I do a local ping on winxp computer, it times out!? totally confused here, was just following the help faq from microsoft when I did this.
How can a computer reach the internet, and NOT recognize it's own ip address?
Anyway, I'm halfway home, just need to figure out stupid xp issues :(
p.s. I'm relatively network illiterate, so forgive me if my explanation is a little fuzzy :D

Still sounds like the firewall is on and blocking the pings. Do you ping 127.0.0.1 or the NIC IP (192.168.xxx.xxx)?

I just tried both 127.0.0.1 and the nic ip and the 127.0.0.1 does ping properly, just not the nic ip. I have NO idea what this tells me, though! LOL

Sure sounds like a firewall blocking to me! The local loopback (127.0.0.1) is pretty useless to block so that you can ping no matter what. Any other firewalls? XP builtin? Uninstall NIS if you can instead of just disabling.

I have set up two computers in a home network, using Ethernet wired connections and ICS, and everything works as expected EXCEPT the internet sharing. All appears to be set up correctly. Can anyone tell me what steps I should take to check these settings and how I ACTUALLY connect to the Internet on the second computer, i.e what do I click-on etc?

I have posted a separate thread above this one with more details.

I have re-read the above posts. Do I need a firewall on both computer sharing the internet of just on the "gateway" computer?

Posted by djchapple
I have re-read the above posts. Do I need a firewall on both computer sharing the internet of just on the "gateway" computer?
You don't need a firewall on any of the computers. It's much easier without them. :)

to see the windows XP computer on the win98 system (through network neighbourhood), install the netbeui protocol and also the IPX/SPX protocol. go to the ipx/spx properties and enable Netbios over IPX/SPX

solved my problem in the past

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back